NCAA March Madness underway

The NCAA tournament is being played in Indianapolis and will culminate in the championship game April 5.

One of America’s most watched sporting events looks a lot different this year for two reasons. Due to COVID, this year’s tournament isn’t being played in multiple cities and arenas. All games — from the first round to the title game — are played in Indianapolis to reduce contract tracing and to avoid spreading the virus.

This year’s tournament doesn’t include the fan-favorite teams Kentucky, Duke and Louisville. Not having the powerhouse schools that usually are represented either in the Final Four or the championship game may surprise many fans, but it leaves room for other schools to have their golden opportunity. The bracket busters and Cinderella stories are born from schools like Ohio University, Oral Roberts, Abilene Christian, Iona, Liberty and more participating this year. This is what makes the NCAA tournament such a special time in sports. 

The Sweet Sixteen will be played on March 27-28, followed by the Elite 8, Final Four and the championship game.