Italy faces another lockdown

Italy is now in another lockdown until April 6 in order to prevent COVID-19 cases.

On March 15, the government imposed a lockdown in order to limit a current surge in cases. The regions affected by the lockdown will be labeled a “red” or an “orange” zone. 

“In regions demarcated as ‘red zones’ people will be unable to leave their houses except for work or health reasons, with all non-essential shops closed,” CNN reported. “In ‘orange zones,’ people will also be banned from leaving their town and their region – except for work or health reasons – and bars and restaurants will only be able to do delivery and take-away service.”

The lockdown will last through the weekend of Easter. During this holiday weekend, the entire country will be considered a red zone for the second year in a row. 

“Unlike last year, Friday’s decree allows for limited visits to friends and relatives over the Easter holiday – for example to see elderly parents,” CNBC reported. 

The main reason for the lockdown is due to the multiple variants, specifically the B.1.1.7 variant found first in the United Kingdom.

“The country’s R rate is now at 1.6 with coronavirus variants increasing the spread of the virus, according to the health ministry,” CNN reported. “The variant B.1.1.7, which was first identified in the United Kingdom, is also now prevalent in the country, according to the health ministry, who also said that they are worried about the presence of small clusters of the Brazilian variant.”

Italy is not the only country with a spike in cases.

“Hungary, Bulgaria and Bosnia have also tightened their restrictions in recent weeks,” National Public Radio reported. “Other countries, including Germany, have warned of a possible return to stricter measures in the days ahead.”