One hundred wins for Andrews

Asbury men’s soccer head coach Ben Andrews reached 100 career wins as a coach on March 11 against the Midway Eagles. 

Entering his eleventh season as head coach, Andrews has been the focal point for the soccer program here at Asbury. 

Reaching 100 wins isn’t an easy task and the journey it took to reach this milestone is one that Andrews will never forget. 

“It’s a special milestone. The best part about it has been reminiscing on all those players in the past and present that played a part in getting to this point,” said Andrews.

Even though winning is the main objective, the personal accomplishments can’t get in the way of what is important: Having the opportunity to coach many players throughout the years and leaving an impact on lives he touches.

“Winning is fun, there’s no doubt about that and it’s always the point of what we’re doing … However, it’s not the purpose. The moments off the field; the baptisms, the weddings, the mission trips that will always be the highlights of my career,” said Andrews.

As Andrews’ coaching career continues, he still has some other accomplishments he would like to check off.  

“Getting to the national tournament has always been a goal. When I was hired, one of my goals coming in was to coach a future pro. We’ve sent a handful to the semi-pro ranks but not a full-fledged pro,” said Andrews.

This year, a two-month break in the middle of the season delayed what the Eagles started to build. 

“Playing games in March and April and playing in your conference tournaments in April is so far from normal. We lost and gained a few players over Christmas break so getting everyone back in groove and on the same page is what we’re working towards. We’ve made big strides to this point and are looking forward to our upcoming games,” said Andrews.

Be sure to check Andrews and the Eagles on March 27 against Oakland City University here at Asbury.