Con: New SAB format undermines student right to vote

A sense of belonging comes from a vast array of places, and it almost certainly doesn’t come from events like homecoming and the Sadie Hawkins dance. While there is certainly value in these events, we contend that feelings of community are more likely to be found in the halls of residential dorms and in the intercultural offices (both of which are, regrettably, severely underfunded). Instead of hemorrhaging money into certain pet projects pushed relentlessly by a small group of individuals, let’s spread the funding across the board to a plethora of groups to reflect the diversity of student interests.

Even if this change is warranted, it must be formally brought to the Asbury Student Congress and voted on by the full body of members. Furthermore, if the Student Constitution is to be amended, the full student body absolutely must have the opportunity to participate in this referendum. The claim that the institution has any sort of mandate to undertake any of these tasks without even bothering to submit themselves to any aspect of democratic process is, quite frankly, insulting. To not allow students to vote on this matter is not only a vicious and callous assault on the rights of backbench members, it will also set precedence henceforth to disregard the rules we have established. 

Needless to say, the result of ignoring any call to preserve the norms of our democratic institutions will be a most disastrous one. The rules we have put in place for ourselves cannot be ignored whenever they become inconvenient to the institution’s goals. If those who have drafted and support these changes are so confident that this is what is best for the institution, then they should have no fear that Asbury Student Congress or the student body writ large will vote to reject their proposals. In our estimation, the condescending and patronizing attitudes of the proposals’ drafters and sponsors shows that they know we are correct.

Although there might be a valid need for change, perhaps even a need for change requiring some degree of urgency, to so flagrantly disregard student opinion goes against the very purpose for which student government was designed at Asbury. To us, the sense of belonging from going to events like Coffee and Canvas or spontaneous pancakes in the student center grows from the attitude of this institution. Unfortunately, the present attitude tells us that our voices are only valued when they are in complete alignment with what the institution believes should occur.

On behalf of ASC members Betsy Thacker, Freddie Thacker, Sam Roberts, Faith Day, Lexi Ruffing, Graham Ferrell and Sarah Smith