Photo by Eliza Tan

Sustainable or just a phase? Truths about how diets affect long-term health

Keto, Paleo, Mediterranean, Carnivore, South Beach, etc. These are all different types of diets that we see online. All of them claim to be the best, but how do they affect our long-term health? 

The definition of a diet is “the kinds of food that a person, animal or community habitually eats,” according to the Lexico dictionary. This is a pretty simple definition, but it is deceiving. 

People often use diets over a short period of time (trying to lose weight for their wedding in six months, for example). This definition purposes that diets are almost a lifestyle, especially when you use the word “habitually.” If we look at the short-term goal of losing weight, then yes, this is effective. I have family friends who are on the keto diet and lost fifty pounds in two or three months. Short-term this is amazing and good for them. But what about the long-term effects? 

Around 65% of those who were on a diet gained the weight back in three years, according to Gary Foster, Ph.D., clinical director of the Weight and Eating Disorders Program at the University of Pennsylvania. That is not good if you are trying to keep weight off and stay healthy. People are gaining weight back because they are not training their bodies to eat in a way that is sustainable for long-term weight management.

Losing weight needs to be done the correct way. One to two pounds a week is a healthy weight loss for a person; this allows their body and metabolism to adapt to the changes.

Many times with rapid weight loss, the body cannot adapt to changes going on. Therefore, when the person gets off the diet they go to their old habits. They resume eating 3,000 calories a day and they decide to eat the junk that contributed to their weight gain. This a cycle that needs to be broken so we can help people lose weight and keep it off.

It starts by making what you eat and how you eat a lifestyle.  Eat breakfast; this will help you feel ready for the day and will prevent you from gorging yourself in the cafeteria at lunch. 

Recognize food as a fuel source; you want to put the best stuff into your body. A person would not put diesel in a car that requires gasoline. Do not eat when you are bored, because you can forget that you are eating and will overeat. These are only a few examples of what you can do. 

It is sad when people who are trying to change their life in a healthy way end up hating it because of a diet. You are told that you cannot have ice cream, but you should enjoy it and not feel ashamed about it.  However, it needs to be in moderation, and not a habit. You should enjoy what you eat, and there are many good tasting healthy options waiting for you to try. 

Moving forward, if you are considering a “diet,” talk to a nutritionist, but go in with questions from already having done the research.  Tell them that you want something that you could eat for ten or more years. If they cannot provide that kind of plan, then find a new nutritionist. Get educated and get healthy.