Getting fit to impact the world AU Health and Fitness has variety of programs

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in 2016, 71.6% of
Americans were reported to be either obese or overweight. According to a study by the
University of Georgia, college students average 6.0-6.9 hours of sleep a night, even though 7-9
hours is the recommended amount. But how does this impact Asbury? How can we respond to
nationwide trends in poor health?
Last semester, the Center for Wholeness and Wellness started a new program called
Asbury University Health and Fitness. The program’s goal is to equip the Asbury community to
become healthier mentally and physically while giving them lasting knowledge to help others.
By equipping Asburians, we are better able to serve not just the United States, but the
world. The program has many opportunities for students, faculty, staff and the surrounding
community. Personal training, group fitness, fitness programs and wellness seminars are offered
during the semester.
The program is also more affordable than most personal training sessions, which cost a
minimum of $40 per hour and can often cost as much $150 per hour. AU Health and Fitness
charges $40 for the month for students; the cost includes two 45-minute sessions a week. In the
end, you pay $5 a session.
However, if personal training is too much, then find one of the free group exercise classes
that are on campus. Why should you exercise? Exercise helps us sleep more and feel happier. It
also decreases stress and chances of heart disease.
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 says, “Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy
Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were
bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.”
God calls us to be healthy. We do not have to be bodybuilders or freak athletes, but we
should honor our bodies. One of Asbury’s mottos is “Impact the world.” How are we to impact
the world if we are not healthy?
If we are to impact the world, we need to impact Asbury first. Change what the world
says about health, and go against the grain. It starts here. Get educated and get healthy.