Asbury Men’s Golf Finishes Strong at Rhodes Spring Invitational

The Asbury University men’s golf team closed out another tournament, their season now coming close to an end, with a solid performance at the Rhodes Spring Invitational held in Millington, Tennessee. Despite not reaching the podium, the Eagles showed signs of progress and finished the tournament in ninth place overall.

The turning point for Asbury came in the final round. After two consistent days on the course, the team saved their best for last, recording a season-low score of 309. This strong showing helped them climb the leaderboard and secure a respectable ninth-place finish.

Leading for Asbury was junior Garrett Sturges. Sturges displayed remarkable consistency throughout the tournament, carding scores of 77, 78, and 77 to finish tied for 21st place overall at +16.  He also emerged as having the most birdies, sinking an impressive six birdies and even notching the only eagle for AU during the competition.

Grayson Head also had a noteworthy tournament for the Eagles. Head showcased his talent with a pair of impressive 76s in both the first and final rounds.  Adding six birdies to the team’s total, Head was another key contributor to Asbury’s success.

Head Coach Joe Crouse expressed satisfaction with the team’s performance, particularly their strong showing in the final round. He highlighted the team’s progress throughout the season, stating it was “a good bookend to the season with where we started last Fall.”  Crouse emphasized the positive trajectory the team is on and the excitement they carry into next year. He also praised his players, calling them a “great group of young men,” and expressed his eagerness to witness their continued growth.

Beyond Sturges and Head, there were several other notable performances from the Asbury squad. Dalton Gibbs, Peter Hoeppner, and Gideon Coleman all saved their best for last, recording their lowest tournament scores in the final round with a 79, 78, and 78, respectively. This collective effort from the entire team showcased their depth and determination.

Statistically, the Asbury Eagles had a strong showing across the board. The team’s season-best score of 309 in the final round was a testament to their resilience and ability to perform under pressure. Additionally, they accumulated 152 pars and 23 birdies throughout the tournament, demonstrating their accuracy and offense on the course.

With the Rhodes Spring Invitational behind them, the Asbury men’s golf team sets its sights on the Alice Lloyd Invitational in Danville, Kentucky. This tournament, taking place on April 13th and 14th, will be their final opportunity to showcase their skills and close the season on a high note.