Mets closer Edwin Diaz becomes highest paid reliever in baseball history

Edwin Diaz and the Mets agreed to a five-year, $102 million deal. This is the first time a closer has signed a nine-figure contract. It’s also the first occasion a closer will earn more than 20 million dollars per year.

The New York Mets had their best regular season in 34 years, posting a 101-61 record and nearly winning the NL East in 2022. With the Mets falling apart in the postseason against the San Diego Padres in the NL Wild Card, they have already locked up one of the most important positions in the bullpen. 

Diaz struck out 116 batters and posted a 1.13 ERA in 62 innings, earning 32 saves this past season. Within his current contract, Diaz will double his 10 million dollar yearly salary next season. He joined New York in December 2018 when the Seattle Mariners traded him and second baseman Robinson Cano in exchange for several minor league prospects. 

That season, Diaz tied the MLB record for second-most saves in a single season (57). However, he couldn’t match the same performance early on with the Mets, posting a 5.59 ERA with 15 home runs and 58 hits allowed in 58 innings during his first season with New York. As expected, the fans in Queens showed their disappointment in boos. 

Since then, Diaz turned things around in 2022. He will look to take the Mets back to the world series for the first time since 2015. Fans would love to hear his famous walk-out song in the fall classic.