Audio books to listen to while spring cleaning

Spring is finally in our midst and that means two things, namely warm weather and spring cleaning. Whether you’re a fan of both or not, this signifies a change not only of the seasons but of how we live life as well. It could also mean a chance to start over a new chapter in our stories aka a new season in our lives. 

Spring, the season is a manifestation of the reality that things aren’t permanent. That there is always a chance to begin anew. Whilst the act of spring cleaning is more of that personal transformation, a life reset of sorts. It’s not an undo button like in most programs (I’m looking at you photoshop), rather a vehicle that helps us clear space. Think of it as taking a shower, to keep us fresh after a strenuous activity.

With that in mind, here are some audio book recommendations to listen to while we embark on our spring-cleaning journey. Enjoy! Let the cleaning and listening commence!

1.Piranesi 

Where to find: Audible
Written by Susanna Clarke and narrated by the amazing actor Chiwetel Ojiofor. This recent Audie winner takes on a journey with the titular Piranesi as he navigates this fantasy world called his home. A record keeper, a friend, he seldom goes out in the broad daylight. 

If you love mystery set in a fantastical setting, then this one’s for you. Oh, Piranesi isn’t human, that’s all we’re going to say.

2. The Autobiography of Malcolm X: As Told To Alex Haley
Where to find: Audible, Apple Books
One for the times, this recent Audies winner written by Malcolm X and Alex Haley and narrated by Laurence Fishburne. Talks in large detail about the man, the myth and legend that is Malcolm X.
This isn’t your ordinary autobiography because this is more of a conversation and exploration of various aspects that make this civil rights leader beloved by many.

3. The Gift: 12 Lessons To Save Your Life
Where to find: Audible, Google Play
Whether you’re on the mend or just simply want to build on yourself, this book by Dr. Edith Eva Eger and narrated by Tovah Feldrush could definitely help. It’s a friend giving advice but not in that talk up to you type of thing. Rather it uses humor and lightheartedness to do so.
It’s one thing to smile externally, and it’s another if you do so internally too.

4. The City We Became
Where to find: Audible, Apple Books
This recent Audies winner from N.K. Jemisin and narrated by Robin Miles talks about a fictional version of the big apple. Filled with myths, graffiti and secrets, this story aims to breathe new life to the already popular city and the people that live in it. 

The big apple just got bigger. King Kong would be happy about this. 

Happy Spring! Enjoy!