I left Spain and got COVID-19 in Kentucky: Amber Holzschuh

The change and uncertainty that came with the COVID-19 pandemic is something that many, if not all of us, were unprepared for. Millions of people have been displaced from their daily routines in an effort to combat the spread of the virus or “flatten the curve.”  

Travel restrictions forced many Americans abroad to pack up and catch a flight home. Scrambling to get back to the U.S. before it would be too late, many lost any semblance of their once daily routine. 

Just two weeks prior, recent Asbury graduate Amber Holzschuh spent her days under the hot Mediterrean while living in the coastal town of Almeria, Spain. Today, she is self-isolating in northern Kentucky after contracting COVID-19. 

According to the Center for Disease Control, Spain has been one of the most drastically affected countries, reporting over 100,000 cases and 9,000 deaths. 

“Being international while the virus was happening was an interesting experience,” she said. Holzschuh has spent the last few months teaching English and traveling all throughout Europe. She said the threat of the virus was not apparent at the time.

“The United States made harder decisions quicker than European countries, so it was weird seeing how different continents were going about handling the spread of the virus,” said Holzschuh. She mentioned that her relaxed coastal town in Spain had a “no pasa nada” or “don’t worry about it,” attitude toward the virus. 

This passive attitude quickly dissipated as more drastic sanitary measures were placed in effect. It was not until the flights were canceled that Spain got the wake up call it needed. 

“The same day the flight suspensions came into effect was the same day the schools were cancelled in Spain,” she said. “Several days later, things got very bad in Spain, the whole country went on lockdown, meaning everything is closed.”

Holzschuh had to make some tough decisions very quickly in regards to where she wanted to stay in the midst of the pandemic. Since the school she taught at would be closed for the remainder of the year, she decided to go back home. 

“Since me and my roommate literally had to flee, we had to schedule and reschedule flights because everything was canceling and borders were closing.” she said. Fortunately for Holzschuh and her roommate, they managed to catch the last flight out of Spain to the U.S. 

“It was the most expensive flight of my life,” she said. “Seats were limited so we bought ours for the cheap price of $2,882, one-way, per person.” 

When they landed on U.S. soil, they were met by EMTs at the airport, ready to be screened. Every passenger coming from Europe was subject to a series of clarifying questions. 

“We answered a few questions, and if we showed no signs or symptoms for the novel coronavirus, we were allowed to continue on to customs,” Holzschuh said.

Once she was settled in her Kentucky home, the chaos of the pandemic she endured in Spain only worsened. 

“I got home from Spain after fleeing the country to find out that my brother was sick and had been tested for the coronavirus,” she said. 

Holzschuh believes that her brother contacted the virus from his job at Citi corporate in 

Kentucky. It is said to employ over 2,000 workers and receives many international people coming in and out everyday. 

Two days into being home, both she and her mother both fell ill. After talking with the CDC, they tested positive for the coronavirus.

Holzschuh states that COVID-19 is far worse than the flu, and the symptoms vary with every case. She mentioned that her symptoms include feeling very fatigued, lots of coughing, very sore throat and multiple days without smelling or tasting. 

“I have had a fever for over a week, and day eight of the virus is the first day I have been fever-free,” she said. 

On day ten of her self-isolation, Holzschuh said, “I was on the up-and-up but not quite.” Now on day 13, things are starting to get better, but she is still experiencing some soreness. 

Thankfully, neither she nor her mother and brother have needed any sort of hospital intervention, and plan to stay home until further notice. 

“My mom is doing better. Out of me and my brother, she has held up better than us somehow,” she said. Holzschuh mentioned that her father, who also resides with them, has managed to not get sick. 

Getting the virus firsthand has allowed her to tackle common misconceptions head-on. 

“We are young, but we are not invincible,” she said.  “This virus has not affected us as seriously as it has affected others, but it has knocked us on our butt for a good while.” 

As a self-proclaimed “extreme extrovert,” Holzschuh stresses the importance of staying home, quarantining for 14 days minimum and listening to medical professionals. 

“Things are rough now, but they will get better,” she said. 

She recognizes that this is a tough season for everyone and that a lot of changes happened very quickly. 

“I never anticipated having to leave a job I love, students that I adored, and a community that accepted me as their own because of the virus,” she said.

The one thing she found most shocking, or rather, ironic, was how she left Spain, came home, and got the coronavirus from her brother in Kentucky who works at a bank. 

“Though I am still unsure of the reason [or] purpose of all of these things, I know that I am walking in line with the Lord.” she said. 

Since her graduation from Asbury in May 2019, Holzschuh has kept in touch with many current students. 

“I know a lot of us have had sudden endings whether it be with a job or senior year, but know that you are not alone,” she said. 

Recently, President Kevin Brown’s COVID-19 Task Force revealed that both students and a professor have both tested positive for the virus. While their identities will remain anonymous, we ask that you keep them, as well as alumni like Amber Holzschuh in your prayers. 

For more information on COVID-19 go to https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html