Winter has always been a time associated with the dreaded “blues.” This year, as the pandemic rages on, we remain somewhat separated from loved ones and these winter blues can hit even harder. However, one way to be transported to interesting places to meet different people comes from streaming services. Finding new TV shows allows us to be somewhere else in an instant. 

Here’s a quick disclaimer: streaming is not a cure for genuine depression but merely a distraction. 

That said, here is a list of shows to start the “winter binge 2022” rolling. 

1. This is Us (2016 – Present) 

Debuted September 20th of 2016 on NBC, featuring an ensemble cast with the likes of Milo Ventimiglia, Mandy Moore, Sterling K. Brown, Chrissy Metz, and Justin Hartley to name a few.  “This is Us” follows the lives of the Pearson family. Siblings Kevin, Kate, Randle together with their parents Rebecca and Jack as they live out their beautiful yet complicated lives. Don’t be fooled by this though because this isn’t your typical family drama because it offers multiple twists and turns that would make a New York pretzel envious.

“This is Us” is binge worthy because it tells our story – US. It is a snapshot of who we are as a country and more specifically how we are in the present time. As much as it is, it reminds us that no matter what storms come, family will always be there.

Where to watch:  Peacock, NBC, Hulu, Sling TV, FuboTV, Apple TV, Google Play, Vudu, Amazon Prime Video

2. The X-Files (1993 – 2002)

Emerging from the murky shadows of 1993, on Fox, featuring Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny. The X- Files, is a sci-fi drama revolving around FBI agents Fox Mulder (Duchovny), Dana Scully (Anderson), and the unusual things sprouting around the country. Alien abductions? Mysterious crop circles? People vanishing from thin air? expect them to be there investigating it all.

Apart from these strange occurrences, it also chronicles the partnership of agent Mulder and Scully. It’s not perfect, but at the end of it all they still find ways to get the job done. A startling reminder that even though we may have differences, we can still work together most especially if we care enough. But the biggest takeaway here is the realization that there are things out there that exist that we still can’t find explanations for.

Where to watch: Hulu, Google Play, Apple TV, Vudu, Amazon Prime Video

3. Gravity Falls (2012- 2016)

From the depth of the unknown to our collective consciousness, the animated series Gravity Falls jumped into our laps in 2012, via Disney Channel. With ace voice actors like Kristen Schaal (Bob’s Burgers, Bo Jack Horseman, Toy Story 3), and Jason Ritter (Frozen II, Skylanders Academy), we are treated with a smorgasbord of heartwarming scenes, mind melting moments and humor courtesy of twin siblings Dipper (Ritter) and Mabel (Schaal) Pines as they navigate Gravity Falls. This isn’t a two person show though, because you will meet larger than life characters such as Grunkle Stan, Wendy and Waddles.

For a show meant for kids, Gravity Falls soars beyond that and into the hearts of those who are kids at heart thanks to the talented Alex Hirsh, the show’s creator. It raises the importance of family, our sibling relationships, and the sense of wonder.

Where to watch: Disney +, Hulu, Google Play, Apple TV, Amazon Prime Video

4. Arcane (2021- Present)

Barreling its way into the depths of the video game world of League of Legends, November 2020, via streaming giant Netflix. Boasting a stellar cast of voices such as Hailee Steinfeld (Hawkeye, Dickinson, Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse), Harry Lloyd (Game of Thrones, The Theory of Everything), and Katie Leung (Harry Potter Series, Annika, T2: Trainspotting) to name a few. We are given award winning performances, coupled with its jaw dropping visuals, compelling story, and animation style.

Whether you’re a gamer and in the know when it comes to the world of League of Legends (LOL), or a casual, the world and story of Arcane will pull you in instantly. With the help of characters such as orphaned siblings Vi and Powder, and Jayce and Viktor, we get to know the twin cities of Piltover and Zaun on a microscopic level.

Just like a moth to a flame, Arcane is such an attractive show in all its aspects (music, lore, story, character, and world building etc.). While it has beauty going on, it also possesses grit and guts to tackle mature themes such as the disparity between rich and the poor.  The very timely topic of the role of technology in the life of a society, and how it could also be the very downfall of every living thing.

Where to watch: Netflix

Happy watching!