President Biden shouldn’t get a rubber stamp

On Jan. 20, 2021, Joe Biden took the oath of office as the 46th President of the United States.  Despite predictions of violence, the festivities were completed without much disruption.  

The inauguration also corresponded with two Georgia Democrats being sworn in to the U.S. Senate, giving Democrats control of all three branches of government for the first time since 2008. Republicans by-and-large accepted the results, despite questions about the legitimacy of the election results. 

Many of the members of Congress who objected to the certification of electoral votes from several swing states attended the inauguration.  However, outgoing President Trump did not make an appearance (it’s hard to blame him).  Republican leaders, elected officials and registered voters must continue to fight going forward. 

In the lead up to the election last November, executives in many of the swing states made changes to their electoral processes through executive orders.  The alterations may seem acceptable in light of the ongoing pandemic; however, these actions were contrary to the U.S. Constitution (which gives the exclusive authority for designating presidential electors to the state legislatures). 

“Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors,” Article 2, section 1, clause 2 states, “equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress.”  

Unilateral executive actions that changed the election systems also altered the method for allocating presidential electors. This lack of respect for the Constitution within the electoral system is extremely concerning and should cause one to question the election process’s integrity. 

But focusing on the inauguration, Biden mentioned the need for unity in the United States, saying that “this is the time to heal in America.” I can agree with him on that point; however, actions speak louder than words.  

For the last four years, Democrats, along with many in the media, have slandered Republicans and Trump supporters as racists, Klansmen, xenophobes, etc., because they supported a man the accusers did not like.  A party cannot treat their political opponents like that for years and expect their olive branch to be easily accepted when they return to power.  

That is not to say that Republicans haven’t been guilty, but they are not the ones in charge, not anymore. 

Ultimately, I do wish Biden the best as he assumes the powers of the presidency.  As an American, I do not hope he fails, and as a Christian, I will pray for him just as I did for President Trump.  But that does not mean Republicans should rubber-stamp his presidency.  Now, more than ever, they must fight against the attempt to move the country’s political institutions significantly to the left.