A painting legend lives on

A permed Afro, content smile and cheerful voice are perhaps some of the most memorable features of the iconic American painter Bob Ross. 

“Bob Ross kinda became a thing again,” said Paulette Black. Black is a junior and also a member of Asbury’s Student Activities Committee (SAC), a group of students directed through Student Development who plan events for campus.

It is true that Ross’ content has seen a resurgence in the 21st century as his tutorials have become more widely available through platforms such as YouTube, although accessibility is not likely to be the only contributing factor here. Bob Ross has come to be described as “beloved” by his fans, particularly due to the manner in which he approaches painting and speaks to his audience.

“Bob Ross is super chill,” said Black.

On Friday, Jan. 22, SAC held a Bob Ross-themed painting event in the Student Center. A video of one Bob Ross’s tutorials was projected on the wall so students could follow along. Supplies such as brushes, paint and canvases were provided to all who wished to participate. Cookies and milk were also provided for those who wished to snack as they tried to keep pace with the rapid painter’s instructions.

“A cozy chill vibe … just so people can come and enjoy themselves and paint with Bob,” said Black, when responding to what type of environment the organizers hoped to create. 

“Painting is something everyone can come to,” said Black, “so we were hoping to draw people in from all sorts of groups. This semester specifically we are trying to broaden the events we have … to broaden who comes. We have noticed a lot of the same people come to our events, so we’re trying to figure how we can make everyone feel welcome at what we do and just bring campus together.”

The event certainly reached a great number of people as extra chairs were put out to accommodate the high level of interest. 

At the end of the night, prizes including Bob Ross bobble heads and a life-sized cut out of the painter were awarded to the paintings deemed most worthy by the panel of judges from SAC.

The real purpose of the night went beyond the good-natured competition, according to organizers.

“Part of our goal is just to make people feel welcome and included on campus,” said Black, “and give people an outlet to have something to do on a Friday night where they’re engaging with other people and forming a community.”