Coronavirus Sports Climate: Lacrosse

The robber, COVID-19, did not leave anything untaken or untouched as it ransacked spring 2020 worldwide. Asbury University was no exception, nor was its athletic program. The young lacrosse program felt the hurt and disappointment when the world stopped.

“Not being together for about five months made us better at checking in on each other and how we are doing,” said sophomore attack player Kat Ivey. “I really like how we picked right back up from where we were last year and then advanced even more.”

The team ended the short-lived season with a roster of 13, which is one more than the necessary number of players on the field, and a 3-4 record. There were seven games left unplayed. 

“This has made me want to work harder and give 110% every time we are on the field in case we get sent home again,” said Ivey.

The fall season proceeded as it typically would, besides the lack of scrimmaging due to travel restrictions and being out of season since lacrosse is a spring sport.

Other than the need for temperature and symptom checks, practice hasn’t changed much during the fall.

“The hardest part is trying to be together outside of practice where we have to social distance,” said junior midfield player Mia Doron. “This makes it difficult to have team dinner, bible study, and just to hang out in general. Corona restrictions have just made it much more difficult to grow closer as a team outside of practice, which is very important for team chemistry.”

As the team has welcomed seven new players, the need for chemistry growth is essential. Sophomore defensive player Gracie Jernigan said the team is like family, and these new additions fit well.

Fall semester comes to a close, and spring semester preparation begins; the team is hopeful for a full season and great results.

“We know that we cannot change the circumstances, so instead of dwelling on that, we choose to show up to practice and just play and have a good time,” Jernigan said.