Remembering Gabby Newman

Asbury student Gabrielle Elizabeth Newman was killed in an ATV accident in Darlington, Pennsylvania, Aug. 5, two weeks before she was due to return to school, Asbury President Kevin Brown announced earlier this month.

The accident happened at Kindred Spirits Rescue Ranch in Darlington, where she volunteered and cared for abused and neglected farm animals, according to the university. 

“She had an amazing spirit,” ranch owner Lisa Marie Sopko told the Beaver County Times. “She was the kindest, sweetest, most loving person. She’s an amazing girl. She’s just unstoppable.” 

Newman, a rising sophomore at Asbury, was pursuing a degree in equine studies to become an equine veterinarian. According to friends and family, she had a passion for taking care of animals. Newman’s memorial was held on Aug. 10 and the equine center is also planning a service in her honor. 

“A treasured member of our Asbury student body and our Equine program, Gabby was a joy to everyone who knew her. We are extremely saddened by this accident and are praying for her family and many friends,” Brown said.In lieu of flowers, Newman’s family has asked to honor her passion with contributions to Kindred Spirits Rescue Ranch, 500 Hodgson Road, Darlington, Pennsylvania 16046. www.kindredspirirtsrescueranch.com