Photo by Emily Shank

Winners announced for Eagle Outlet design contest

Asbury students Macey Fix, Jacob LeBeau and Sarah “SB” Stroh are the winners of the Eagle Outlet
design contest.
The official announcement came Oct. 23.
Asbury Student Congress held a contest allowing Asbury students to create a design to be featured on
apparel in the Eagle Outlet. Beginning Oct. 8, students were encouraged to have designs ready to be
printed and displayed by mid-November. The contest only had two stipulations: the designs had to be
Asbury-appropriate and related to Asbury in some way.
After hearing some student thoughts about more ideas for the Eagle Outlet, the Executive Cabinet
began to plan a solution. Executive Publicist Tory McKinley suggested reviving a contest from five years
ago. The first t-shirt contest had proved to be a huge success, but no one carried on the idea.
“I’m hoping whoever takes my role when I graduate continues this,” McKinley said.
Fix, a junior, said she had been encouraged to enter the contest by some friends who know her passion
for design. At first the contest was described as a “t-shirt” contest, but Fix’s design will be featured on a
mug. “I think it’s super fitting since I drink at least four cups of coffee a day,” she said.
Having designed the sophomore musical shirts for the Appointed class, junior SB Stroh is no amateur at
designing t-shirts. For this contest, Stroh used what she was learning in her interactive media class on
Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator to make her design.
“My inspiration for the shirt kinda stemmed from a lack of designs that I was interested in on t-shirts
around campus,” Stroh said. Being a more visual person, she decided to use an iconic landmark for the
shirts that all Asburians would recognize — the Wilmore water tower.
Senior Jacob LeBeau had a different reason for entering the t-shirt contest. His friend Maggie Richwine,
the student body president, asked him to make a design and then asked if it could be entered into the
contest. Though he hadn’t originally planned to enter, LeBeau agreed.
“On a scale from 1-10? Probably a 7,” LeBeau said, when asked if he was excited to see his design on
campus. “It will be cool seeing it around campus. … Can we make sure one gets mailed to Sandra G.?”
With almost twenty design entries, McKinley said, “We’re planning on doing [the contest] again next
semester, just to see if we get more ideas.”
“I just want to say thanks to all the people who submitted because I know art is sometimes very
vulnerable,” McKinley said. “I really appreciate everyone who put themselves out there and
participated.”
Keep an eye out for an email announcing the arrival of the limited-edition apparel coming mid-
November.