“No justice, no Derby”

Breonna Taylor was shot and killed seven months ago in her Louisville home and, so far, no charges have been filed against the police officers involved. 

As a result, over 100 days of protests demanding justice for Taylor and her family have unfolded in Louisville. 

While protests demanding racial justice have been ongoing nationally since the death of George Floyd, significant events such as the 146th Kentucky Derby gave protestors a bigger platform from which to call for local action.

Protestors and activists prior to the event called for the cancellation of this year’s derby chanting, “No justice, no Derby.”

“You want to have a successful Derby and other occasions that help to make this city look good — arrest the cops,” said Tamika Mallory, the co-founder of Until Freedom, at a press conference on Aug. 13.

“Obviously, the Derby matters more than a black woman who was killed in her home for absolutely no reason at all,” said Mallory.

The chants and calls for action went unanswered. On Sept. 5, the Kentucky Derby went on, but with COVID-19 regulations; the event did not allow spectators.         

In another statement by the Kentucky Derby, it acknowledged its history of excluding black jockeys. The statement went on to state the rationale for hosting the race this year.

“We respect that point of view but made our decision in the belief that traditions can remind us of what binds us together as Americans, even as we seek to acknowledge and repair the terrible pain that rends us apart,” said the Kentucky Derby in response to the protests.

On the day of the Derby, Attorney General Daniel Cameron tweeted, “Today, while we honor a KY tradition with the running of the Derby, we remain cognizant of the community’s desire for answers in the investigation into the death of Ms. Breonna Taylor. We continue to move forward with our investigation, reviewing each fact to reach the truth.”