Finding love amidst a pandemic

Small Christian universities are notorious for their dating spheres. Some students wait until after high school to begin romantic relationships based on the assumption that more mature candidates will be available in college. Many students enter college hopeful that they will be able to find someone they connect with. This process can be weird and daunting, but students can take comfort in the fact that everyone else tends to feel the same way.

Unfortunately, this year, students have an additional complication that will impact their dating lives. Just like in almost every other aspect of campus life, the novel coronavirus has had a significant impact on dating. 

Canada’s top doctor recently addressed this issue. According to CNN, Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer Theresa Tam advises added precautions when engaging in romantic encounters. This includes avoiding kissing and wearing masks when with someone outside your household. The goal of these precautions is to limit exposure, but individuals will have to make some of their own judgement calls depending on their level of concern. 

It can be hard to meet someone new during this time, but fear not, Asbury, it still can be done! Considering all of this, here are some tips for staying healthy and happy as you date during the pandemic.

1. Consider Location

Studies have shown repeatedly that open air spaces reduce the change of transmission of the virus. When considering a location for a date, this can be a significant aspect to factor in. While some locations may be open for limited dine-in, consider what the ventilation is like so you can assess risk. 

2. Communicate

This is always a key aspect of any relationship. If you want to date successfully during COVID-19, it is a particularly important thing to pay attention to what others are communicating. Even though many of us are a little shy as we get to know new people, make sure you are clear about your comfort level when it comes to potentially higher risk COVID activities. If you want to maintain a six-foot distance for the first couple weeks while you are still assessing your level of interest, let your date know. Any overbearing reactions that disregard your feelings would also be a helpful thing to identify early.

3. Be Creative

Many of our traditional ideas of dates will be off the table, considering the guidelines. This does not have to be a burden. Consider the guidelines and make the best choices accordingly. Picnics are a great option while temperatures are in a comfortable range. You also might discover new restaurants with terrific outdoor seating. Don’t be discouraged and ultimately remember that dating is about getting to know people and having fun. The exact way you accomplish this is up to you.