How to survive new semester challenges brought by pandemic

Returning to campus for the fall semester is usually an exciting time. Students come back from a brief hiatus, rested and ready to take on new things. Summer typically looks like different combinations of work and pleasure, time with family and friends in a lull from the typical academic buzz. 

This year is distinctly different as every aspect of daily life has been impacted by the global pandemic. As students return, anxieties are heightened beyond the typical syllabus shock. Some students spend their time complaining about the new COVID-19 precautions while others fearfully anticipate being sent home. 

During these unprecedented times, it’s helpful to keep a few things in mind to ground yourself. Hailey Small, a sophomore, shared her tips on keeping a positive outlook.

“What matters is that we’re here and we’re together,” said Small.

While things may look significantly different than they have in the past, remembering that not coming back at all was also an option and the fact that our spring semester was cut short allows for a deeper sense of appreciation. 

The precautions have created some unexpected positives in the process. Students have enjoyed beautiful weather the first two weeks of class. The new array of to-go dining options allows students to eat outside more than they ever have before. This contemplative setting makes for a deeper sense of rest than the florescent lights of the cafeteria, an environment Small says was a little “oppressive” upon closer examination. 

On masks, Small advises, “Find one that works and buy a lot of them. Once you get used to them, they really don’t get in the way too much.” Some students on campus have really embraced the fashion potential masks provide. 

While new safety procedures exist, campus life has not fundamentally changed. Students may take a little extra time to settle in this semester but it is helped by the fact everyone is new to the process. Professors are integrating classrooms of combined Zoom and in-person students. Students are figuring out which days of the week they attend class in-person and which days they Zoom in according to the HyFlex model. Everyone is learning as we go. 

Adjusting to our new environment can be tiring at times. Try to be intentional and evaluate how you’re feeling about everything. When you need a break take one. Being mindful to check in on your friends can also be an important element of support during these unprecedented times.

Ultimately, we are still benefiting from the on-campus community life Asbury promotes. While there may be some losses there certainly will be a few gains from our new environment. One thing is certain, 2020 will be an excellent year for unique college life stories.