Fingers crossed: Asbury cheerleading recruit looks forward to fall semester

COVID-19 has impacted almost every area of life. Whether that is doing your job from home or not getting to finish your senior year, it seems like there is no part of life that has gone untouched. 

For athletes, the effects of COVID-19 poses an extra challenge. Not only are they currently unable to practice, they are not sure if they will be able to resume practice in the fall. Although Asbury University has made no statement about closing for the fall 2020 semester, this prospect has been a concern for future Asbury student and cheerleading recruit Maria Kime. 

“With the coronavirus, it has been hard to even start planning,” Kime said. “I don’t want to get too excited just in case Asbury does not reopen in the fall. But at the same time, I am so excited. I have been asking my mom if we can go ahead and get dorm stuff.”

For athletes, a big part of their lives is the daily practices; these practices help them finetune their skills. For Kime, who has been cheering throughout high school, it has been difficult to adjust to not having those practices or her normal spring conditioning.

“I do workout from home,” she said, “but I have not been able to stunt, which is not good.” 

Kime, whose parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles all went to Asbury, knew that Asbury was the place she wanted to go. Although she has not had the closure of finishing her senior year of high school in person, she is still optimistic about the future.

“I went to a small private Christian school for so long,” she said, “and I am looking forward to building new relationships with new people.”