Coronavirus sports climate: Women’s volleyball

The Asbury women’s volleyball team takes the meaning of “family unit” seriously, even outside the coronavirus era. Senior middle hitter, Bethany Laue, and freshman defensive specialist, Delaney Evans, explained how COVID-19 has only changed the team’s operational aspect and not the dynamic. 

“Coach Stowe says all the time, ‘We are family,’ and we really emphasize that,” says Laue. “Meals we share together, road trips, time in the bus, those are my favorite parts. Corona has changed that and has not changed that at the same time.”

The operational changes that Laue and Evans speak of are the limited amounts of travel, a limited roster that gets to travel, a shorter season, pre-season without coaches, masks and spectator limitations.

“This season of uncertain times has really pushed me to work harder and realize how lucky I am because we could easily have had our season taken away,” said Evans.

“Nothing, personally, has changed in my drive to compete and work hard if anything the restrictions that we’ve been given have actually made me want to work harder because we want to win our conference tournament,” says Laue. “If we win our conference tournament this fall, that means that we will qualify to compete in the spring at the national tournament. Being a senior, I would love to play both fall and spring and I’m not ready for the time to be done. What we’re driving for is the conference championship.”

Although these rules and limitations make the entire team connecting to be tougher than a typical year, these ladies have been finding alternate ways to connect and be together. This includes picnics and outdoor photo shoots.

“Our team is different than any other team I’ve been a part of,” says Evans. “I think no matter what is happening, we will still be unified and still find ways to fellowship. Our team is very connected, and it makes us really strong, especially through these times.”

The Lady Eagles volleyball team will have their season home opener on Tuesday, Sept. 22  at 7 p.m. in the Luce Center gym.