LAHAINA, HAWAII - JANUARY 05: Jon Rahm of Spain plays his shot from the fourth tee during the first round of the Sentry Tournament of Champions at Plantation Course at Kapalua Golf Club on January 05, 2023 in Lahaina, Hawaii. (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)

John Rahm wins his first green jacket in the 2023 Masters

After facing turbulent weather and overcoming a two-stroke deficit against Brooks Koepka, Jon Rahm took his place at Augusta as the 2023 Masters champion.

The “tradition unlike any other” takes place in Augusta, Georgia, each spring. With iconic music and beautiful green scenery, the beloved Master’s tournament consumes the golfing world for seven days. The top men’s golfers in the world compete for the coveted green jacket.
Rahm has been on the PGA tour since 2016. He has had 11 wins but only one big title under his belt, the 2021 US Open. 

However, this year alone, Rahm has come out strong with the iconic title and three other wins at The American Express, The Genesis Invitational and the Sentry Tournament of Champions. This marks his best year in the PGA tournament-wise.

“John Rahm was already a star before his four-shot victory at the 2023 Masters, but the 28-year-old’s second major title vaults him into a new stratosphere, joining golf’s most elite club,” Golf Digest said.

Rahm began his hot streak earlier this year. He told Sports Illustrated that he was “having the best season of my life.” 

Even prior to his Master’s win, Rahm was proving his standing in the season with those big earnings.

“In less than two months, has earned more than $9 million in 2023 and joined Johnny Miller in 1974 and 1975 and Arnold Palmer in 1961 as the fastest to reach three victories before March 1,” Sports Illustrated said in an article back in February.

Now, Rahm has accumulated a total of $48,312,583 in his career earnings, according to his PGA stats.

At the end of March, prior to the Masters, his name was prominent because of his continued standing in the PGA and his recent wins.

“Jon Rahm is not only the current number 2 in the world golf ranking, but the Spaniard is also one of the most popular players within the PGA Tour ecosystem,” Marca said.

The Spain-born golfer made headlines back in 2017 as well when he was just coming up in his career. 

He gained headlines like “The rise of Jon Rahm into golf’s top 10 is historically impressive” from CBS and “The rise of Jon Rahm – Thriving through ‘adversity’” from CNN. 

His presence has been known in the league and has been watched closely throughout the years. While he did not win the US Open as predicted in 2017, he made up for it with the 2021 win. 

With his strong presence rapidly increasing again, his name and person are becoming a larger part of the golf conversation.

“You know Rahm for his prodigious off-the-tee game (he led the tour last season), representing Europe at multiple Ryder Cups (perhaps most notably in 2018, where he defeated his idol, Tiger Woods, in Sunday singles), and maybe even his occasional temper,” Sports Illustrated said.

His name is a big part of the conversation heading into the next big PGA event, the PGA Championship.

Currently, his odds are ranked 9-1, with him as a favorite to win. 

“No matter which way you slice it: Jon Rahm is the hottest golfer on the planet. He already has four PGA Tour wins — including the Masters last week — with a handful of other top finishes this season and has won twice more on the DP World Tour since October,” Covers said. 

The PGA Championship will begin on May 18 in Clinton, Kentucky.