ASC Update: Sept. 15 meeting

Asbury Student Congress (ASC) meetings have begun for the 2020-2021 academic year.

The first meeting was held on Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2020, and was called to order by senior President Demarion Johnson.

The Executive Council (EC) opened the meeting by introducing themselves and announcing the ASC theme for the year, which is “Evoke Empathy, Embrace Change.” EC shared that the goal of this theme is to get students on campus to focus on and listen to each other, which will lead to positive change.

EC also announced their goals for ASC, which included providing leadership to campus, improving campus and benefitting the student body by providing resolutions to concerns and assessing and increasing campus safety. The EC specific goals for the year are to review student fee allocation, to better communicate ASC resources to campus and to update the ASC website.

Each branch of ASC gave reports: Student Governance Association reported that they are holding elections for the Courageous Class cabinet, Spiritual Life Board reported that they are preparing a survey and listening tour, along with other workshops and programs, Student Intercultural Programs is writing policy against racial discrimination and creating content for a campaign that will take place during October and Club and Congress Operations is planning campus events.

Reports were also given by members of the Surrendered, Faithful and Appointed classes. Surrendered is discussing Sophomore Musical and hosted a worship night, Faithful hosted a movie night and is planning their next class event and Appointed is designing a logo for their senior shirt, getting gifts for senior nights, hosted an event and is planning to give gifts to members of the Visionary class.

In new business, a new ASC budget was proposed and passed unanimously.

The meeting concluded with an open floor time for announcements. One announcement was explaining that ASC has been restructured and downsized from 140 members to roughly 50-70 members.

The next ASC meeting is on Oct. 13.