Introducing the Executive Cabinet

Another academic year is upon us, and with that, a new Executive Cabinet graces the executive offices in the STUCE. Read below to learn a little more about your new members! 

Student Body President: Demarion Johnson

A Maysville, Kentucky, native, Johnson is in his senior year studying communications with an emphasis in public relations and a minor in political science. 

“The thing I get to do as student body president is meet with administration, various beneficiaries of the institution, and also lead the Executive Cabinet and Student Congress in our weekly and monthly meetings,” said Johnson, “Something I’m really hopeful for is to be able to bring concerns to the administration in an accurate way…through my time in student government, actually knowing the people that you’re representing is a key piece to the way I go into leadership.”

Executive Publicist: Jack Widener

From Taiwan, senior Jack Widener is a communications major with a public relations emphasis and a graphic design minor. As Executive Publicist, his job is to generate publicity for programs and events from ASC, manage a social media presence for Asbury Student Congress and design its website. 

Vice President of Spiritual Life: Caylor Gongwer

Originally from Ghana, West Africa, and a resident of South Bend, Indiana, Gongwer is a senior sociology and literature double major.

“I get to lead the Spiritual Life Board in listening to students,” said Gongwer, “especially in regard to spiritual life needs and concerns, and then in representing and finding ways to improve on those needs of campus.”

Vice President of Student Intercultural Programs: Breana Staten

Staten is a journalism major, with a minor in public relations. She is a resident of South Elgin, Illinois, about an hour outside of Chicago. 

Vice President of Club and Congress Operations: Sam Diaz Merchan

Junior Sam Diaz is from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and is a communications major with an emphasis in public relations. 

Treasurer: Sophia Colclasure

From Albany, Illinois, the senior accounting major is overseeing this year’s budget.

“As Treasurer, I work with the VPs on budgets to make sure they’re not overspending but also making good use of their funds for events and student-led activities,” said Colclasure. 

Jonah Fern: Vice President of Student Governance

Fern is a political science and Spanish double major from Frankfort, Kentucky.

“I’m in charge of passing proposals and setting an agenda for the Student Governance Association, which I preside over. I help the Student Body President and other members of EC in what ASC does this year.”