Abundance of content does not make TikTok revolutionary

When Vine shut down in 2017, the future looked bleak. We tried to make do with compilations on YouTube, but one can only watch the same five overdone Vines so many times. We were desperate for new content. When things looked hopeless, we were given TikTok.

It took a while for TikTok to gain traction. Originally it was mostly used by Asian audiences, and most of the content was lip-syncing and K-Pop dance challenges. However, as this app became a more global sensation, the content morphed to become the source of some of our most beloved memes and dance challenges. One can hardly scroll through Twitter or Instagram without stumbling upon a video from TikTok. Spend at least 20 minutes in the Stuce and you are sure to spot at least one group of people Renegade-ing for their life.

Many students also complain that TikTok is absolutely destroying their productivity. This app has this ability to suck you in. One can scroll for 15 minutes, and it’s suddenly 2 a.m. I would not suggest downloading this app if you are trying to get work done. You will find yourself scrolling for hours with absolutely no awareness of the passage of time.

Despite its popularity, I see TikTok being short-lived. Although we all think of Vine with fond memories, there was practically no one on the app near the end of its life. Most of the knowledge people have of Vines comes from the compilations that popped up on YouTube after it was gone. I see TikTok going the same way.

It also does not have the format that made Vine so popular: Short videos. TikToks can be up to sixty seconds long, unlike Vines that maxed out at seven seconds. These limitations made Vine a more creative space. The limitations challenged creativity. Creators had to set up a joke and have a punchline in a short window which required them to break out of the limits of video-style comedy. Vine was also fast-paced. If a video was not good, you knew almost immediately because you could see the whole thing in a few seconds. It was easy to sort through and find good and lasting content.

However, TikTok does not have any of those advantages. The full-minute videos are more like vlogs or short YouTube videos many times. I find myself sitting through an entire minute of video, waiting for a punchline that never comes. While it offers fun filters and new ways to present content, TikTok is not doing anything revolutionary.

With it being the time-eater that it is and lacking the limitations that will keep it relevant in the long run, TikTok is sure to die out very soon, especially as the semester picks up and we all begin drowning in papers and projects. However, let’s all try to enjoy it while we can for what a wonderful source of content it is.