Marijuana bill moves to KY senate

As of Feb. 21, the Kentucky House passed a bill that is a move towards the legalization of marijuana. The bill is being sponsored by State Rep. Danny Bentley, a pharmacist and Republican from Russell, Kentucky.

The Courier Journal reported that lawmakers in Frankfort have the chance to vote on such bills in an effort to legalize the drug for both medical and recreational use. A big cause that is holding the House back is lack of research dealing with the issue. 

33 states have legalized marijuana for medicinal use, and 11 have legalized for both medicinal and recreational use. However, research from The National Institute on Drug Abuse has shown that marijuana use can lead to marijuana use disorder, which in severe cases is a form of addiction that has negative side effects. 

“I do believe the plant itself has some value,” Bentley said. He also noted that he has handled prescriptions for some federally-approved marijuana-based medications, such Marinol.

“My basis for everything is the Kentucky Constitution,” Bentley said. “Section I of the Bill of Rights mentions the pursuit of safety and happiness, so I’m asking for safety and efficacy.”

Bentley said that, if medical marijuna is safe and effective, “we can sell it in every pharmacy in the country.”

Gov. Andy Beshear is in favor of the bill and said that, in addition to its health benefits, the legalization of medical marijuana could “be done in a revenue-positive way” that might help Kentucky financially.

The final verdict has yet to be finalized as the bill moves to the Senate. In regard to the legalization of marijuana, State Rep. Cluster Howard said, “Our heads [Kentucky] are stuck in the sand; in order to keep up, we need to get our heads out of the sand.”