Fresh start for the Freshman Class Cabinet

The Surrendered Class of 2023 will be the first class to undergo a restructuring that will combine certain positions as a method to fill every role. 

Student body vice president Demarion Johnson said, “The Executive Cabinet surveyed the available leadership opportunities on campus and realized that many of the class cabinets have had a difficulty in filling all of the twelve positions, so we began to open the conversation of restructuring the cabinets.” 

Johnson also mentioned that the cabinets are working with Student Development for their approval on this new system. 

Colin Toth, the senior class president, said one of the major changes being made is the consolidation of the class publicist, secretary and historian roles.  

“These roles comprise different skills but together represent the sort of ‘creative-slash-marketing’ arm of the cabinet,” Toth said. He stated that it may be challenging to combine these roles because of a “depth and breadth of the skill set required to fill the position.”

Another change that will be implemented is the position that was formerly known as “ASC Representative,” according to Johnson. Both positions will serve under a different branch of Asbury Student Congress. 

“One will serve on the Student Intercultural Branch and the other will remain under the Student Governance Association Branch,” he said.

Johnson also stated that, “The final change is to the class activity directors; these two positions had gender-specific qualifications, so we have removed the gender specification from these positions.”

The Surrendered class will serve as a “trial run” for this proposal according to student body president Maggie Richwine. 

“Through feedback and observation, needed changes can be made at the end of this academic year, and we can continue to work out a system that is beneficial to the whole of class cabinets,” she said.