NFL Upset Prediction: Week 2 Colts don’t need Luck to beat Titans

The first week of the National Football League was as ugly as it gets. Players were kicked in the face, cleated on the head and body-slammed. Other teams were simply embarrassed and made their opponents look like Superbowl contenders. There was no better example of this than the Tennessee Titans demolishing the Cleveland Browns 43-13.

The Titans’ domination in week one has some analysts already hyping the Titans to win the AFC South division. In week two, the Titans sit as three-point favorites as they host the Indianapolis Colts. But while the Titans thrashed the Browns, they will fall to the Colts this week.

Despite the final score, the Titans played a mediocre game at best. The Browns’ defense looked as if they had never practiced the playbook, and their offense was horrendous, turning the ball over numerous times and practically handing the game on a silver platter to the Titans.

The Titans’ offense features quarterback Marcus Mariota and running back Derrick Henry. Both players exploded against the hapless Browns defense, but neither looked overly impressive.

On the Colts’ side, as soon as Colts quarterback Andrew Luck announced his retirement, fans around the league immediately counted the Colts as a lost cause this season. But the Colts looked like anything but a lost cause against the Los Angeles Chargers, taking the Chargers’ electric offense led by quarterback Philip Rivers into overtime before falling 30-24.

The Colts’ leading stellar performances were from running back Marlon Mack and quarterback Jacoby Brissett. Mack proved himself to be one of the better backs in the league, running for 175 yards, while Brissett made a statement that he sure is here to play by throwing two touchdowns and making 200 passing yards against the solid Chargers defense.

Brissett is not Luck, but he doesn’t need to be for the Colts to win. Since 2009, the Titans have beaten the Colts just three times, and this is easily the most complete team the Colts have had since the Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne days. 

Both teams feature a middle-of-the-pack defense and top five offensive lines, which means the balance of this game hangs on which quarterback can make the most plays. 

Brisset proved that the Colts can make big plays in last week’s game against the Chargers, and while Mariota statistically played well, it was against a non-resistant Browns defense (not a great sample size). Mariota has struggled with accuracy in the past and I expect the Colts to give Mariota a much bigger challenge this week. 

While the Titans are the three-point favorites, I simply believe the Colts are more prepared to win. Expect the Colts to win this game 27-20.