Andrews takes on new role in the athletic department

While many students and faculty of Asbury University were taking a break from the stress of school this summer, the athletic department’s work was just beginning. 

Several renovations were made to the Luce Center in an effort to help expand the Asbury brand and build a program that reflects pride in the University. 

But the expansion extended not only to the physical appearance of the athletic program, but also to the internal features, such as staff. Over the summer, the department added a new position to the staff: assistant athletic director. 

When Vice President of Intercollegiate Athletics Mark Whitworth looked for candidates for the new position there was only one name that came to mind: Men’s Head Soccer Coach Ben Andrews.

“Andrews was the obvious choice,” Whitworth said. “Since I’ve been here Andrews has shown great instincts, problem-solving, and is great at relating to students.”

Andrews, an ‘06 Asbury graduate, was first hired by the University not long after graduation. Starting as the assistant men’s soccer coach, Andrews was promoted to Men’s Head Soccer Coach in 2010, and additionally served as Luce Center Building Supervisor (2007-10) and Luce Center Facilities Coordinator (2010-19).

As the assistant athletic director, Andrews hopes his expanded position will enable the Athletic Department to continue to grow. 

“Our goal here is to become not only recognized for our play,” Andrews said, “but our character, mission, and academics as well.” 

While Andrews’ new role features many of the same responsibilities as his previous role as facilities coordinator, Whitworth wanted to give Andrews more authority to make decisions on the day-to-day operations of the Luce Center. 

“Ben’s got a great background in the internal side of operations of the facility,” Whitworth said. ”It really gives me someone I can lean on and bring in on conversations.”

Andrews’ role will also give Whitworth more time to focus on the external operations of the department. 

“It gives Mark more time to go out and raise money and market the program to potential sponsors and donors,” Andrews said. “It will also free him up to attend more games and support our teams.”