Asbury Eagles

Women’s basketball now underway

November means basketball season, and the Asbury women are hoping to build on the success of last year while dealing with some changes.

One of the most significant changes is the shift from NAIA to NCAA Division III. While the fall sports have now had a season to get used to, winter sports that are just beginning can see what a different level of competition will look like.

“I think the team is most excited to play against new teams in the NCAA since we have switched to D3,” said sophomore Spencer Harvey. “Personally, I am most excited about all the new places we get to travel, along with the new competition we get to play.”

As the team looks forward to its upcoming schedule, they can also look at the goals they’ve set for the year.

“Team goals would be to progress each game and, of course, win,” said Harvey. “We are looking forward to seeing how far we can go in the NCAA tournament with all the progress we will make throughout the season.”

To work toward these goals, the women have to put in the extra work before they start and juggle the new restrictions that come with the DIII move, including a shorter preseason.

“The preseason looked very different considering the short time frame,” Harvey said. “Practice has been more intense due to the short amount of time. We have really had to lock in and focus on our goals this year. We have most of our players back this year, so I’m really excited to see how we compete. Looking forward to all the work we have put in really paying off.”

The women will face off against Saint Mary-of-the-Woods tomorrow, Nov. 13, at 3 p.m. in Indiana.