Asbury Students meet and learn from Academy Award Nominees

By Mackenzie Haire, contributing writer

The Academy Awards is Hollywood’s greatest night, and film enthusiasts, including some of Asbury University’s own students, come from all around the country to attend the incredible events of the days preceding.

From Feb. 22-25, five media communication students flew to Los Angeles, California with Dr. Jim Owens, dean for the School of Communication Arts at Asbury, to attend a pre-Oscars panel for production design. The members of this panel were all the nominees for the best production design award and represented the films “Roma,” “Mary Poppins Returns,” “First Man,” “The Favourite” and “Black Panther” (which won not only the award for best production design but also for the categories of best costume design and best original score).

This trip was an opportunity for students interested in production design to learn from professionals who had made it to the top, to hear that their dream was possible.

“Each and every one of the nominees started out small or in a ‘small role,’” said Anne Reinhiller of the Merciful class. “They worked hard to get where they are. It was very encouraging to know that everyone does start somewhere.”

Sarah “SB” Stroh of the Appointed class said, “I learned a lot about production design and what it’s like to work as a production designer in Hollywood. They told us how they got their starts and … tips on being young and starting our careers.”

But the panel itself wasn’t the only learning experience; many of the industry professionals at this event took the time to speak with the Asbury group. Several of the students said a highlight of the trip was having dinner with the “Mary Poppins Returns” production designer John Myhre and set decorator Gordon Sim. Reinhiller said that one of her favorite moments was lunch with John Decuir Jr., production designer of “Top Gun” and son of famous production designer John Decuir Sr., who worked on movies such as “Cleopatra,” “Hello, Dolly!” and “The King and I.” On the third floor of the Andrew S. Miller Communication building is the John Decuir collection, a collection of final production designs by John Decuir Sr. and other designers.

While still in school, it can be discouraging to feel like you’re at the bottom of an endless industry ladder. An opportunity to meet professionals could emphasize the feeling of being a small fish in a big pond, but Reinhiller found the trip to be reassuring.

“It was very encouraging to know that everyone does start somewhere,” she said. “Don’t lose sight of who you are and where you want to go even if you aren’t in the role you want to be in. It was an opportunity to gain wisdom straight from those who are defining the industry.”