Tumbling Team to Host Annual Jym Jam

One of Asbury’s longest standing traditions is just around the corner. The Tumbling Team’s annual Jym Jamboree or more commonly known as “Jym Jam” will be taking place on April 5 at 6:00 p.m. and on April 6 at 1:00 p.m. in the Asbury University Luce Center Gym. 

The first Jym Jam was in 1965 and has taken place every year since. “The show is a lot different than it was back then, but our mission has remained the same. The Tumbling Team uses acrobatic skills as a platform to witness the love of Christ,” said Lindsey Lee, the Tumbling Team coach. 

Lee explains what can be expected at this year’s Jym Jam, “If you have never been to Jym Jam, it is like nothing you have ever seen before! There are lots of flips, trampolines, and even fire! And every year, we finish our show with a new section inspired by a movie or TV show.” 

The event is free and open to both Asbury students and to the public. “Jym Jam is our only local public performance. Everyone in the community is invited,” Lee said. “Our show is geared towards kids since we are a children’s ministry. However, there is something for everyone to enjoy. Plus, you are even able to come down onto the mats after the show and jump on our trampolines or our inflatable tumble track, and you can even learn some stunts with the team!” 

The show is based on the performance that the Tumbling Team performs when on tour. The team spends August through March preparing for tour which takes place during spring break. When the team gets back they spend 2-3 weeks making any necessary changes.

Jym Jam is a time for students and the public to experience the work that the Tumbling Team has put in over the semester. 

“We spent our tour performing in front of kids, which was truly amazing. But Jym Jam is the time when we get to perform in front of our friends and family, making it special in a different way,” Lee said. “Since the Tumbling Team is such a unique team, it can be hard to describe exactly what we do. Jym Jam is the perfect time for people to see us in action and understand our ministry better.”