Independent Presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. picks attorney Nicole Shanahan as his Vice Presidential nominee

Former Democratic turned Independent Presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr.— an environmental activist and son of former United States Attorney General and Presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy—chose Nicole Shanahan, a 38 year old attorney from San Francisco, California, as his running mate for the 2024 Presidential Election last Tuesday, March 26, ending months long speculation of the matter. 

Kennedy announced the decision at a campaign event, stating, “I’m confident that there is no American more qualified than Nicole Shanahan to play this role, so I’m proud to introduce to all of you the next vice president of the United States of America, Nicole Shanahan.” He was also live streaming the event via platform X, and stated in a tweet, “I am proud to introduce you all to the next Vice President of the United States, Nicole Shanahan. #KennedyShanahan24.” The tweet was also in response to another by Stefanie Spear, the Kennedy campaign’s Press Secretary. In it, she said, “Breaking: Kennedy Welcomes Nicole Shanahan as His Running Mate @RobertKennedyJr: “I wanted a VP who cares about healing our children, protecting our environment, restoring our soils and getting the chemicals out of our food.” She also posted a picture of Kennedy and Shanahan at the event in Oakland, California. 

While at the event, Shanahan stated to supporters, “There is only one moment in time and one candidate that I would step into this capacity for. That time is now and that candidate is Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.” Shanahan continued by saying, “I believe, very strongly, that focusing on the health and well-being of our youth is the key to a strong America. That means honestly looking at the root causes of where childhood development is being sidelined. We have the tools to prioritize American wellness, we just need to use them.”

The announcement came after speculation by the media on who the 70 year old candidate would choose to run with him in November. Names being stated as possible candidates by the media included Jesse Ventura, a former wrestler and Reform Party Governor of Minnesota, Aaron Rodgers, the NFL Quarterback playing for the Green Bay Packers, former Hawaii Representative Tulsi Gabbard, a former Democrat who became an Independent in 2022 and Andrew Yang, a former 2020 Democratic Presidential Candidate and billionaire who founded the Forward Party in 2021.

Shanahan, who was a strong supporter of Kennedy while he was challenging President Joe Biden in the Democratic primaries, originally was disapproving of his run for president as an Independent, though changed course earlier this year. The attorney donated $4 million to a Super PAC (Political Action Committee) that used the funds to supposedly pay for an advertisement supporting the Kennedy campaign that was shown during Super Bowl LVIII. Shanahan also donated $500,000 dollars to another Super PAC in favor of Kennedy.

If Kennedy wins this November, Shanahan will be only the second female Vice President of the United States, following incumbent Vice President and fellow Californian Kamala Harris. Shanahan will also be the first Vice Presidential candidate from the Millennial Generation, as well as the second youngest Vice Presidential candidate in United States history, coming behind only former Vice President John C. Breckinridge.