Asbury partners with new food service provider

Earlier this month, students, faculty and staff received an email that Asbury University will be working with a new food service provider. 

“On behalf of the Food Service Selection Team, I am pleased to announce that Fresh Ideas will join our campus community this summer and will be ready to serve students in August 2024!” wrote Rev. Dr. Sarah Baldwin.

According to the email, the Food Service Selection Team consisted of students, staff and administrators. The team looked at student survey responses about food service, visited several campuses, interviewed vendors and received references from other universities. After conducting this research, they decided to partner with Fresh Ideas. 

“Our current food service provider, Pioneer College Caterers, provided Asbury University with excellent service and food for decades and I, along with Dr. Brown and the President’s Cabinet, share our gratitude for their contribution to community life during this time,” said Baldwin. 

According to their website, Fresh Ideas is a “dynamic food service management company serving academic institutions, corporations and senior living communities in the Midwest, South and Southeast.” Their focus is on “promoting sustainable practices” while striving to “balance social equity, environmental health and economic prosperity.” 

Several students agree that it’s time for a change. 

Senior Sarah Driscoll used to eat at the cafeteria but now only eats at the Bistro or cooks in her apartment. 

“I don’t love the caf food. I find it to be hit or miss and a lot of times food temperatures can vary. I’ve gotten cold food there more times than I would like, which is why I don’t eat there anymore,” said Driscoll. 

While she prefers the Bistro, she finds it difficult to find a variety of options as a vegetarian. Driscoll also claims she once ordered a vegetarian soup but found meat in it. 

”I think the change is exciting,” said Driscoll. “I won’t be here for it since I graduate but I think it’s definitely something to look forward to for students that will be here. I definitely think it’s time for a new vendor.” 

Senior Carly Cawthon on the other hand, eats at the cafeteria almost daily. While she finds the meals to be sometimes repetitive, she does have “plenty of favorites that I look forward to. One of my favorites is the cauliflower parmesan!” 

While she has had some negative experiences, overall she has had several positive ones. 

“One of my favorite memories was with my good friends Julia and Steffani. We went to the cafeteria for Thanksgiving night a few semesters ago, and something about it was so good!” said Cawthon. “We enjoyed ourselves so much and had the best time laughing and spending time together in the cafeteria.” 

“It’s definitely past time for a new vendor,” continued Cawthon. “I’m excited for the cafeteria, the staff and the students. I pray that it will be a fruitful collaboration and will give way to creativity, innovation and positive change that will improve the overall campus’s experience of food and fellowship times.” 

Kris Lensmeyer, Chief Innovation and Experience Officer at Fresh Ideas, agrees with this sentiment. 

“With a focus on a holistic engaging student experience, Asbury continually strives to provide a quality and innovative education for their students,” said Lensmeyer. “Our new partnership aligns perfectly with that philosophy. Our team is excited to be a part of the Asbury University family and looks forward to implementing new concepts, dynamic menus and fresh approaches to the campus dining experience.” 

New changes to the campus dining experience include a mobile app using facial recognition technology, menus with a focus on international choices and allergen sensitivity and longer dining hours. 

A Fresh Ideas Forum will be sponsored by the Executive Cabinet where students will have the opportunity to ask Fresh Ideas representatives questions and share ideas.

Featured image by Rebecca Hedman.