SAC’s Silent Disco: a night to remember

One of the most remembered, enjoyed and talked about events on campus was back for round two on the night of Saturday, Feb. 24. Asbury’s Student Activities Cabinet (SAC) first introduced the Silent Disco last semester, and it is quickly becoming a new favorite tradition. 

At 7 pm that Saturday night, students piled into the CLC auditorium, ready for an evening of singing and dancing. Student IDs were left at the door in exchange for a pair of special silent disco headphones. Each pair of headphones had three different “channels” which students could choose between, as often as they wanted, by adjusting a button on the side with different songs playing on each channel. 

The colors on the outsides of the headphones corresponded with which station was being listened to. If the light on the headphones was blue, that meant someone was listening to the oldies station. If the light was green, the pop hits station was playing, and if the light was red, someone was listening to classic dance party songs. 

This meant that students were able to dance and sing along to whichever of the three music styles suited their taste while being able to tell which stations the other students in the party were listening to. Someone could be listening to “Dancing Queen” by ABBA while dancing next to their friend who was listening to “Year 3000” by the Jonas Brothers. 

With the option of three different songs being sung at any given time, taking off the headphones and listening to the chaos of the party was a great source of laughter throughout the night. 

“I enjoy watching people dance and try to sing. It is always so funny listening to absolute nonsense,” said SAC member Josh Ballard. 

For those three hours, the CLC Auditorium was a dance floor. Decorations were hung from the ceiling, the voices of students laughing and singing filled the room, dance moves were shown off,  and the colorful headphones gave the party a fun neon glow. 

Silent Disco is also a great way for students in all classes to meet and know each other.  Freshmen were dancing next to seniors they had never met before, connected by sharing a favorite song. 

“I also loved seeing so many people on campus just meet new people and see parts of campus that they don’t normally see,” Ballard said. 

Eventually, people returned the neon headphones, picked up their IDs and belongings and headed back to their rooms. Memories made in that auditorium went out with each student as they walked down the CLC steps, humming their favorite songs.

Featured image by Sam Reed.