Asbury Track and Field kicks off outdoor season

ROME, Ga. — Asbury University’s track and field team made a remarkable start to the 2024 outdoor season at the Berry College Victor Ice Breakers Meet in Roma, Georgia. The athletes showcased their talent, setting two school records and securing five spots for the NCCAA National Championships. Head Coach O’Brian Bridges expressed his satisfaction with the team’s performance, emphasizing the promising outlook for the rest of the season.

“We had an excellent opener to the outdoor season. We competed very well, leading to numerous personal records, two school records, and four NCCAA Outdoor Nationals qualifying marks. Doing so well early in the season is a positive sign for what’s to come,” said Coach Bridges in the recap article posted by Asbury University.

Among the highlights of the meet were the exceptional performances of several Asbury athletes. August Price secured his name into the school record books with outstanding displays in the hammer throw and javelin, setting new marks of 22.67m (74’4″) and 19.18m (62′ 11″).

Five student-athletes stamped their tickets to the NCCAA National Championships with impressive showings in their events. Dan Kersey and Cameron Tapp excelled in the 5000 meters, posting 16:03.80s and 16:02.93s. Brendan Funke showcased in the shot put, recording a distance of 13.38m (43′ 10.75″). Bailey Gassmann displayed endurance in the 5000 meters, clocking in at 19:23.14s, while Luke Wheatley impressed in the 400-meter dash with a time of 50.81s.

In addition to the record-breaking and qualifying performances, several Asbury athletes secured top-eight finishes in their events. Luke Wheatley placed 6th in the 400m, while Luke Holton finished 8th in the 800m. The 4x400m relay team consisting of Holton, Brown, Tapp, and Wheatley claimed 6th place with a time of 3:30.07s. John Rahbany soared to 4th place in the long jump with a distance of 6.19m (20′ 3.75″). Anna Sparks and Brooke O’Carroll demonstrated their strength in the 400m and 800m events, respectively, securing 5th and 7th place finishes.

Asbury has taken their program to the next level within this past indoor season. As the team continues to grow, we are hopeful to see more broken records.

Looking ahead, Asbury’s next challenge will be their first and only home meet of the season, scheduled for March 16th at the Asbury Outdoor Venue. The team will build on their early-season success and continue their pursuit of excellence as they progress through the outdoor season.