Asbury Eagles soar to NCCAA National Championship

Mens:

Asbury Eagles Fall Short in NCCAA Mideast Regional Championship but Earn At-Large Bid to National Tournament

The Asbury University Eagles men’s basketball team (16-9) fell short of their goal of winning the NCCAA Mideast Regional Championship on Saturday, March 2nd, in Oakland City, Indiana. Despite a valiant effort, they were defeated by the Alice Lloyd Eagles. 

This loss snapped Asbury’s seven-game winning streak, which had propelled them into the championship game. However, their strong regular season performance earned them an At-Large bid to the National Championship Tournament held at Grace College in Winona Lake, Indiana, from March 20 to 23, 2024.

The Asbury and Alice Lloyd Eagles split the regular-season series, each winning on their home court. This championship rematch promised to be a close contest, and it did not disappoint. 

Despite the regional setback, Asbury secured a chance on the national stage. They earned the #7 seed in the NCCAA Division I Men’s Basketball National Championship. Their first challenge will be against #2 seed Wayland Baptist University on Wednesday, March 20, at 10:15 AM Eastern Time.

The Asbury Eagles will look to regroup and refocus their energy for the national tournament.  While they may not have achieved their initial goal of a regional championship, they still have an opportunity to bring home the national title.

Womens:

From Heartbreak to National Stage: Asbury Earns At-Large Bid After Regional Championship Loss

Disappointment hung heavy in the air at the Luce Center on Thursday night, March 7, as the Asbury University Eagles women’s basketball team (18-8) fell short of their NCCAA Mideast Regional Championship dream. Despite an effort, they fell to Alice Lloyd Eagles (12-17) in a nail-biting 63-69 contest. The closeness of the final score speaks volumes about the intensity and resilience of both teams

Celia Pelfrey put on a strong performance for Asbury, leading the scorers with 14 points, including four three-pointers. Spencer Harvey showcased her versatility with a well-rounded double-double of 13 points, 9 rebounds, and 2 steals.

The Eagles undoubtedly felt the sting of defeat after coming so close to victory on their home court.

However, the heartbreak of the regional championship loss wouldn’t be the final chapter for Asbury’s season.  In a turn of events that transformed disappointment into renewed hope, the NCCAA awarded the Eagles an At-Large bid to the National Championship Tournament! This event will be held from March 20 to 23 in Winona Lake, Indiana.

The At-Large bid is a testament to Asbury’s impressive regular season performance. Their strong record earned them the #3 seed in the National Championship tournament.  In their opening game on Wednesday, March 20, at 12:00 PM Eastern Time, they’ll face a tough challenge against the #6 seeded Carolina University.

The full schedule for the National Championship can be found online [link to NCCAA DI Women’s Basketball National Championship schedule], offering a glimpse into the exciting matchups that await.

The Asbury Eagles women’s basketball team has shown their grit and determination throughout the season. Although the regional championship loss was a setback, their journey continues on the national stage. The entire Asbury community will be cheering them on as they strive for the National Championship title!