Upcoming cabinet elections at Asbury

Election season begins as Asbury Student Congress (ASC) held its first meeting on Feb. 7 for all interested in running for student government. Students running for positions in Class Cabinet or Executive Cabinet will be able to campaign until voting begins. This upcoming election will be for student government positions for the next academic year.

Students running for Executive Cabinet positions will be giving their speeches in chapel on the morning of Feb. 21. Voting for those positions will be open following chapel at stations located in front and behind Hughes Auditorium. Abigail Osborne, Chair of the Elections Committee, explains, “This past year, we started doing Executive Cabinet speeches in chapel. It gives people a chance to hear the information and be informed, and then Asbury students can make a confident decision while voting.” The Elections Committee oversees and organizes elections. They inform students on how to be involved in student government, how to go about the campaigning process and how to ask for votes in a way that abides by election rules in order to ensure a fair outcome.

Class Cabinet speeches will also happen on the same day, starting at 5pm in the Radar Student Center. Once the speeches are concluded, voting will be open for those positions as well. Voting will be done electronically using tablets at voting stations through the 22nd, with the specific voting hours still to be announced. Votes will be counted, and the winners declared at the Elections Announcement Party that will take place in the Student Center on Feb. 23, to which the student body is invited. There will be snacks provided, and students will be able to meet their newly elected Class Cabinet members.

Sara Gantz–Elections Committee Senator and current Restored Class Vice President–explained the specific responsibilities of Executive Cabinet: “They’re student leaders, the go-between for the student body and administration and academic departments. If students have concerns, we voice them to administration, and then communicate back with students.” The Executive Cabinet also functions as part of ASC to help oversee Class Cabinets. Hannah Bartels, Vice President of Student Governance Association, said, “Executive Cabinet oversees as student representatives. They get to be involved in larger discussions and give student input to faculty.”

The Class Cabinets, Osborne explained, “meet weekly and organize events for classes, like Sophomore Musical or Junior Senior. They primarily organize events and determine how to use the budget to serve their specific classes.” Each class has their own cabinet, which is overseen by the class advisors.

When asked what steps the Elections Committee was taking to encourage student involvement, Osborne explained how providing time for speeches in chapel has improved participation. “That’s probably the biggest change that we’ve made, we didn’t have as much participation before doing that.” She also added, “We’re opening up voting for longer hours right after chapel and in the Stuce, we’re offering inventive prizes like donuts and stickers and such.” There will also be continued emails and social media posts to keep students informed.

Featured image by Sam Reed.