The importance of hobbies

During Christmas break of  2022, I taught myself how to crochet. It was something I had wanted to do for a while, and since I had time over winter break, it felt like the perfect opportunity. I quickly discovered that I loved the process of creating. I loved starting a new project, picking the yarn, choosing a pattern and getting started. I loved the repetition of stitches, getting faster as I got more accustomed to it. I loved getting to the point that I could do it without looking. I loved that, in the end, I had something that would serve a further purpose. Plus, it gave me an excuse to get caught up on my never-ending watch list (I made it through “Squid Game” and “Wednesday” this way).

I’ve gone through many different hobbies in my 21 years of life. I was an artsy, crafty child and got a lot of how-to kits and art sets for presents. I colored a lot, made my own crayons, painted, bejeweled things, and built things with clay. I made a fairy house with my dad and learned how to make friendship bracelets with my mom. My Aunt Nancy decorated cards, and she got me started with a stamp kit and taught me how to press flowers. Hobbies don’t always have to be artistic, though. I read and write and bake and garden. I drink enough tea it could probably be considered a hobby too. As mentioned above, my current obsession is crocheting. 

Now, I’m not saying that everyone should crochet, though it is quite fun, and if you’re looking for something to do with your hands, I would definitely recommend it (I’m sure knitting is good too, I just haven’t gotten around to trying it yet). My point is, it’s important to have a hobby. We need something to invest in that’s just for fun. And you don’t necessarily have to be good at it.  Removing the pressure to do it well and just allowing yourself to enjoy creating can be incredibly rewarding. Ultimately, a hobby should be something you enjoy. It doesn’t necessarily have to be something you’re good at, and even if you start off not great, if you keep doing it you never know how much you may improve. 

It’s easy to get involved in things in college. Asbury has all kinds of clubs that would be great opportunities for starting a new hobby or getting back into an old one. From American Sign Language (ASL) Club to herpetology to cosplay to self-defense, there is a wide variety of things to choose from. And if none of those particularly strike your fancy, you can always start something on your own or ask a friend to teach you something they love. College is the perfect time to try new things, and finding a hobby you enjoy can offer a much-needed break from classes and studying. 

There are also health benefits to finding new hobbies or keeping up with old ones. Hobbies can help improve your mental health and decrease stress. Dr. Ken Duckworth, chief medical officer of the National Alliance on Mental Illness, found that “Engaging in activities, particularly ones that help you feel connected to something—a mission, community, a belief system—are really valuable for people’s mental health overall.” Many hobbies can involve other people and give you another group to belong to and be a part of outside of school or work. 

Even if you’re already out of college, it’s not too late to start something new. Studies have found that starting a hobby after retirement leads to almost universally improved mental health and lowers the chances of dementia. Involvement in a hobby or club can be vital to an enriched life after retirement. They can provide something entertaining to pass the time, help your mind stay active, keep your body in physical shape and encourage socializing with a group or community. 

In our hyper-achievement driven world, it can be hard to find leisure time to relax and do something you enjoy. I get it, I’m a double major. We all have busy schedules and too many commitments. But if you don’t have something to fill up the tank, it’s only a matter of time before you burn out. A hobby is a great way to relax and recharge for the coming week and may even result in a product you can show off– such as a handmade sweater.