Sports media in 2024

We’re in the midst of the dead period in the sports world, after the end of football season, before the NCAA March Madness tournament and the beginning of baseball season, and right in the middle of the NBA and NHL season. However, for the sports fans who just can’t get enough, let’s take a look at some exciting new sports movies and shows that will be released throughout 2024.

Starting with an under-appreciated sport, “Six Nations: Full Contact” is a series about rugby, following the yearly competition known as Six Nations. The show follows the six nations and their captains and is out now.

Another sport that isn’t often talked about is NASCAR racing. The new high-stakes documentary series “NASCAR: Full Speed” shows how intense Nascar racing can be. They ramp up the excitement, showing all of the drama and tension built throughout the season for the drivers on and off of the track.

People online have been quick to compare “Full Speed” to another racing show that’s been around much longer. “Formula 1: Drive to Survive” is returning for a sixth season on Feb. 23. Most of the discourse I’ve seen from NASCAR fans has been that “Full Speed” is better, so it will be interesting to see people’s responses to the newest season of “Formula 1” so close after the release of its rival’s newest season.

One of the most anticipated shows to return in 2024 is Peyton Manning’s “Quarterback.” The show delivers exactly what it promises in the name. It focuses on a handful of NFL quarterbacks, last season being Marcus Mariota, Patrick Mahomes, and Kirk Cousins, and takes us through their season up through the end of the playoffs. After multiple high-profile choices turned down the opportunity to be featured in the show this season, like Tua Tagovailoa, Justin Fields, Dak Prescott, Jalen Hurts, and Trevor Lawrence, they finally got a yes from Los Angeles Rams quarterback Matthew Stafford. It will be interesting to find out who else will be featured as we get closer to season two’s release.

The same team responsible for “Quarterback” is teaming up with Lebron James’ company to create a similar documentary show for the NBA. The release date and details haven’t been revealed yet, but it’s expected to be out by the end of the year.

For any tennis fans out there, “Break Point” season two is out now. The documentary series follows the ATP Tour and the WTA Tour and began in Jan. 2023 and just released season two a month ago. 

In a similar vein, we’re getting a fictional tennis feature film starring Zendaya called “Challengers.” It’s scheduled to release on April 26 and follows a woman named Tashi Duncan, who’s a retired player turned coach, trying to get her husband’s struggling career around.

In March, we’ll see the release of the second season of “Full Swing.” They attempt to heighten the excitement level of golf, bringing the audience up close into the game in a way they’ve never experienced before.

Hopefully, hearing about these exciting shows and films brings some light into the lives of die-hard sports fans during this dry period of the year.