Jun 1, 2023; Denver, CO, USA; Denver Nuggets center Nikola Jokic (15) shoots the ball against the Miami Heat during the first half in game one of the 2023 NBA Finals at Ball Arena. Mandatory Credit: Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports

Commentary: NBA mid-season update

The 2024 NBA season is halfway over, so it’s time to look back at how things have played out so far and forward to predict how the rest might go.

With how frequently these games are played, it’s important to note that these statistics are as of Jan. 25.

Regarding the playoff picture, the eight teams with the best records from the Eastern and Western Conferences make it.

Starting in the Eastern Conference, The Boston Celtics are currently 34-10, having only lost one game at home. 

Behind them, the Milwaukee Bucks and Philadelphia 76ers hold the second and third-place spots at 31-13 and 29-13, with the 76ers currently riding an electric six-game win streak.

In fourth and fifth, the Cleveland Cavaliers and New York Knicks are neck-and-neck at 26-16 and 27-17.

After them are the 24-20 Miami Heat and Indiana Pacers, with the Heat losing their last four in a row.

Right below the teams in the current playoff spots, from 8-12, are the 23-21 Orlando Magic, 21-24 Chicago Bulls, 18-26 Atlanta Hawks, 17-26 Brooklyn Nets, and 16-28 Toronto Raptors.

Then, finally, there are the teams that have no shot at redemption this season: the 10-32 Charlotte Hornets, the 7-36 Washington Wizards, and the abysmal 5-39 Detroit Pistons.

Moving into the Western Conference, the 31-13 Oklahoma City Thunder, 31-13 Minnesota Timberwolves, and 31-14 Denver Nuggets are all fighting to obtain a leg up on one another to secure their spot at number one.

In fourth, the 28-14 Los Angeles Clippers are doing what they can to stay slightly above the 26-18 Phoenix Suns, who are on fire right now with a seven-game winning streak.

Tied with the Suns at 26-18, the New Orleans Pelicans maintain a comfortable spot at number six. 

In seventh and eighth are the 24-18 Sacramento Kings and 24-20 Dallas Mavericks.

Moving beyond the teams in the playoff spots, the NBA Cup winners, the Los Angeles Lakers, are tied with the Utah Jazz at 22-23.

Rotating between 11th and 12th are the 20-23 Houston Rockets and 19-22 Golden State Warriors.

The 13th-place Memphis Grizzlies had a rough start to the season without Ja Morant, but despite his return, they’re sitting at 17-27.

Then in 14th and 15th are the 13-31 Portland Trail Blazers and the 8-36 San Antonio Spurs.

Round one of the 2024 NBA playoffs will begin on April 20.