rebecca hedman

Residence Life: the heartbeat of campus

The Residence Halls are the places where each new day begins and long, tiring days wind down. Each hall’s unique community, facilitated by the Resident Assistants (RAs), provides an opportunity to form and deepen relationships where one of the most formative aspects of college living takes place. 

One thing that most every RA will experience while being a part of Asbury’s Residence Life is a great deal of personal growth, both in the community of hall-style living and as a leader. 

“I think [being an RA] definitely grows you in the capacity of having a responsibility to other people,” said Glide-Crawford RA Grace Goddard. “It has helped me learn that unexpected things are going to happen in the community around you that can either be a hindrance or a good thing. That is something that has helped me in leadership: how to take things that are unexpected and use them to build something good.” 

One of the beautiful things that comes with being a leader in Res Life is getting to see the fruit of the seeds that have been planted over the years. Each hall is unique, with different personalities and traditions that have started and grown from semester to semester. One of those precious traditions that each hall on campus gets to enjoy is Gather: a weekly time of Bible study and fellowship. 

“Gather has always been a really sweet time on our hall,” said Glide-Crawford RA Sarah Yost. “Each year that I have been on this hall, even when I haven’t been an RA, I have always gone to Gather, and it has been a really good time to build relationships with the girls. I hope that continues on our hall, that Gather is always a place where they can come and be part of the hall community.”

Another wonderful part of being an RA is getting to leave a legacy on your hall. Many RAs remain in their positions until they graduate from Asbury, which gives them the opportunity to set the tone of the hall community, leave a lasting impact on their fellow students, and start traditions that can continue for years. 

“I hope that my guys know that they are loved, I hope that they continue to love each other, and I hope that they throw another epic party again next year,” said Johnson RA Andrew Seamands. 

The roles of RA and RD, first and foremost, exist for the students: to provide a leader who walks with others in their college journeys.

“Our heart is for the students. Any way that our jobs can continue to point back to that is our goal,” said Resident Director of Kresge, Liz Louden. “That is the mission: to be here for students and help them navigate life. I was so impacted by my Resident Director and the ways that she discipled me. So, to be able to be that for another student is the biggest privilege in my life.”

The sentiment echoed by many beloved RAs and RDs is the fact that having a role in Residence Life is a joy. It changes and grows each person in those positions and each student who comes into contact with them. Discipling men and women and doing life alongside them is truly an honor. Being involved in hall community and leaning into the spaces that RAs and RDs have created for intentional growth and fellowship is one of the greatest and most rewarding opportunities on campus.

Featured image by Rebecca Hedman.