Colton Abigail

Kentucky faces adverse weather conditions

Record amounts of snowfall are being reported as Louisville’s airport measured 2.7 inches of snow on Friday, the most snow seen since December 2022. In Lexington, 2.8-3.3 inches of snow was recorded, according to the Lexington Herald. 

An email sent to Asbury students on Jan. 12 outlined “key winter weather practices” including vehicle and building safety tips as weather was expected to worsen over the weekend. The following Sunday, Governor Andy Beshear declared a state of emergency which allowed the state to activate resources to aid in the protection of Kentucky citizens. 

When she heard about the storm and state of emergency, senior Sarah Driscoll wanted to make sure she was prepared. 

“I was a little concerned so I did go to the store and made sure I had enough food just in case I couldn’t get my car out,” Driscoll said.

On campus, classes and other activities were delayed on Jan. 15 and Jan. 19 due to inclement weather. 

“I think it was a good idea for classes to be delayed after following safety protocols. The safety of faculty, staff, and students is very important and needs to be prioritized through proactive measures,” junior Sevasti Levenioti said. 

“I wish classes had been canceled instead of delayed because the sidewalks weren’t cleared enough and it was difficult to get to class,” Driscoll said. 

Despite the freezing conditions, students across campus have enjoyed the snow. 

“I personally love the snow, especially around Christmas time. As a student here at Asbury, while snow and cold weather might affect my daily schedule, it doesn’t bother me,” Levenioti said. 

“Being from Texas, I absolutely love the snow and it’s a nice change of pace from previous years,” senior Carly Cawthon said. “I’ve been hoping that we would get snow. We did in 2021 but this time around, I feel like I have more freedom to enjoy it. So, I’m hoping we get more snow as long as everyone stays safe.” 

While temperatures are expected to increase over the next coming weeks, Governor Beshear is still urging people to take the proper safety precautions and to limit their exposure outdoors during severe cold weather.

Featured photo by Abigail Colton.