american red cross

American Red Cross declares blood shortage

The American Red Cross declares a blood shortage as the Red Cross blood supply reaches critically low levels nationwide. 

They have reported a 40% drop in donations, which is the lowest number of people donating blood in 20 years. The blood supply has dropped 25% since August of 2023 alone. This decrease is partially due to the COVID-19 lockdown, during which blood was not collected at standard rates. The shortage has since been compounded by severe weather and the busiest travel season in recent record. 

Due to winter storms, approximately 265 blood drives have been canceled across 27 states since the start of this year. These continuing weather complications are making it difficult for the inventories to rebound.

The Red Cross is encouraging those who can donate blood to do so in order to meet hospital needs. Dr. Eric Gehrie, executive physician and director for the Red Cross, stated, “Small changes in blood donor turnout can have a huge impact on the availability of blood products and dramatic consequences for those in need of an emergency blood transfusion.” These interruptions to the blood supply can be especially problematic during the winter months when there is often a higher need due to seasonal illness and higher accident rates. 

Blood products are being sent to hospitals at a higher rate than donations are coming in, and there have already been limits placed on the distribution of type O blood. Many patient procedures may be put on hold should the problem continue. Gehrie says, “More challenges may lie ahead as the potential for severe winter weather and seasonal illness may compound the dire blood supply situation. Donors of all types–especially those with type O blood and those giving platelets–are urged to give now.”

According to statistics provided by the Red Cross, 12,500 blood donations and 3,000 platelet donations must be collected daily to meet hospital needs. The cancellation of blood drives has resulted in a loss of over 8,000 blood and platelet donations in the past few weeks alone. It is estimated that 29,000 units of red blood cells are needed every day in the U.S. and that every two seconds, there is a patient in need of a blood or platelet transfusion. The people most likely to need transfusions are those who have experienced severe traumatic injuries or those who have serious illnesses. Gehrie says, “One of the most distressing situations for a doctor is to have a hospital full of patients and an empty blood bank without any blood on the shelves. Doctors often can’t operate without blood available to make surgeries, medical procedures, and treatments possible.” 

As part of the effort to spread awareness and promote blood donation, the Red Cross will be partnering with the National Football League. Those who donate blood, platelets, or plasma during the month of January will be entered to win an all-expenses paid trip to Super Bowl LVII in Las Vegas.