unsplash

Updates continue in Kentucky train derailment

Kentucky residents are getting answers about the cause of the recent train derailment that displaced a small town.

On Nov. 22, a CSX train derailed around 2:30 p.m. just north of Livingston near the remote town with about 200 people in Rockcastle County. 

“Two of the 16 cars that derailed carried molten sulfur, which caught fire after the cars were breached. No other hazardous materials were released,” AP News said.

This resulted in the local residents being encouraged to evacuate just a day before the holiday, with Local 12 reporting that some Livingston residents woke up on Thanksgiving in a middle school shelter.

Now, CSX has released the believed cause of the derailment— a failed wheel bearing on the train car.

“Rail vehicle axle-bearing failure is a serious issue often resulting in service delays and potentially fire and derailment, with obvious risks to life,” a University of Southampton paper said.

While the derailment impacted the tracks, the chemicals released were the cause of the most concern for officials.

“According to the Environmental Protection Agency website, sulfur dioxide can cause respiratory problems, depending on the concentration and length of exposure,” AP News said. “CSX said it was thankful to Rockcastle County authorities who helped respond to the incident and to community members and local businesses that helped affected residents and assisted the company in serving Thanksgiving dinners for the community.”

Local 12 reported residents left to avoid any of the burning and unpleasant side effects, with one even reporting a really bad asthma attack. After continuous testing, the areas have been cleared.

“State officials monitored the air after the derailment for traces of hydrogen sulfide and sulfur dioxide, but there had been no detection of those substances at the derailment site or the nearby town of Livingston since Thursday morning,” AP News said. 

Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear declared a state of emergency in the county. He worked to assure the crews that state help was available and reminded the public that those working would be doing so during the holiday.

By Nov. 26, the company reported that crews were finishing up the restoration of the site. The 16 railcars and spilled chemicals had been removed, 2,500 tons of soil affected had been replaced with clean, uncontaminated soil and crews were finishing up track repairs so the line could be used again.

The families in Rockcastle County are able to return home.