Spectrum News

Stoops confirms he will stay at UK

The University of Kentucky’s head football coach, Mark Stoops, has confirmed he will continue to stay with the Wildcats.

Last week, several reports speculated that after some contact, Stoops would move to coach at Texas A&M. Following an exciting win against their rivals, the Louisville Cardinals, Stoops announced his intentions for next year.

“I know there’s been much speculation about me and my job situation the last couple of days,” Stoops said in a post on X.  “It’s true I was contacted about a potential opportunity this weekend, but after celebrating a big win against our rivals with players I love like family, I knew in my heart I couldn’t leave the University of Kentucky right now.” 

The post followed the 38-31 takedown of formerly no. 9 Louisville, which was the second loss the Cardinals had this season. The Wildcats had a 6-5 record going into the game after some difficult losses earlier in the season. 

The away game for the Cats resulted in their fifth straight Governor’s Cup win. Since 1994, the two teams have competed for the cup, and now Kentucky leads the series 20-15

The game on Saturday saw some big plays from the Cats as Devin Leary passed for three touchdowns, and Ray Davis scored three touchdowns, which included the game-winner. Barion Brown also ran back a 100-yard kickoff return for UK.

“[My players] found a way to pick themselves up and to finish strong in a game that’s important,” Stoops said to the Courier-Journal. “It’s important for us to elevate where we want to go in a bowl. It’s important for us to finish. It’s important for us and our fans to bring that Governor’s Cup back home.”

Stoops is currently in his 11th season with the Wildcats. It marks the longest term of any coach in UK history.  

“Inheriting a program that was 2-10 the year before he arrived, Stoops’ rebuilding efforts took time,” the UK Athletics website said. “Two games into the 2016 season, his record was 12-26, but the program took off from there, and the coach has engineered a 54-33 (.621) mark since.”

In 2022, Stoops hit a big milestone in his coaching career.  The Wildcats’ victory at Florida marked Stoops’ 61st win, breaking the school record of 60 held by Paul “Bear” Bryant.

“I think Mark Stoops is the best program builder in all of college football right now,” said Tom Luginbill, ESPN National Recruiting Director and on-air game analyst on the UK Athletics website.

Reports claimed that Stoops would be the replacement for Texas A&M’s Jimbo Fisher, who was fired on Nov. 12 

“On Saturday, Stoops’ name emerged as the Aggies’ replacement for Fisher at Texas A&M, with AggieYell reporting that, ‘barring a last-minute collapse,’ he would coach the Aggies,” The Courier-Journal said.

According to multiple reports, A&M never fully offered Stoops the job, but they were preparing to do so Sunday morning.

Stoops post confirmed he was staying in his place and seemingly stopped the offer.

Matt Jones, ​​a Kentucky sports radio broadcaster, said Stoops received no raise or extra incentive from Mitch Barnhart to stay in Lexington.

“Mark Stoops reportedly around $9 million per year total as head coach at UK, so no extra incentive or raise is massive for the athletic department,” A Sea of Blue said.

“I have a great job at a place I love, and I get to work with the best administration and greatest fan base in college football right where I’m at,” Stoops said in a post on X. “I’m excited to say I’m a Wildcat!”