unsplash

The slippery slope of opinions

Having to share my opinion on other people sharing theirs is something rather…Well, difficult. It calls for constantly reassessing how I speak, what I’m saying and how I chose to deliver it. Talking about something trivial like my thoughts on a new album or how I feel about the parking situation on campus, requires little to no actual thought as to how other people might take my ideas. More valuable things like education and my thoughts on gun control may call for some more careful consideration of my audience and some self-reflection before I publish my ideas to the public, both on paper and online.

I have always felt that everyone is entitled to their opinions if they are shared respectively. A person who comes at me with guns blazing is likelier to have no real impact on me. An opinion shared with the intent of conversation is one I am always open to; the most valuable discussions start with friendly arguments and banter. An opinion I might disagree with, I like to think I’m good at listening to anyway. We don’t have to agree with everyone and all of the things that they say. I don’t expect most people to agree with my opinions, and I honestly think this is a stance most people should strive to take. Nobody has to agree with you.

In the same way you are entitled to an opinion, others are entitled to not listen to you. Conversely, we cannot go through life refusing to hear anyone out. To hear out other sides of an argument is how we build ours to be stronger. 

Sometimes, I think of forming opinions like I write papers for Erin Penner. I never know what I have when I start, but once I understand, I have loads to say. I let authors and novels guide me into something I feel strongly about and let it carry me to an opinion that I can argue for. In the same way, arguing with a person other than myself allows me to understand more about what I’m arguing for and why I’m arguing for it. There are few things in life that I dislike more than people who have no idea why they argue for things.

I have been someone who, for a long time now, has backed out of conversations because I know that I’m too ignorant on the topic to have a valid opinion. I would rather listen to other people’s thoughts and hear them out before forming an opinion on something I know so little about. 

An example of this for me would be politics. For the most part, I’m relatively ignorant when it comes to politics. I keep up to date on things and get involved when I know what’s going on and how I feel about it. I know others who let politics consume their lives, and I don’t ever want to be like that. I can understand how it is to be that involved in something so impactful in everyone’s daily life. Still, I have things in front of me that I need to focus on or learn about before I start shouting my opinions at whoever will listen to me- mainly when those opinions aren’t fully formed or backed up.

As a self-proclaimed rather opinionated person, I know exactly what my thoughts are on things that I’ve done research on and have an interest in. I have lots of opinions about trivial things that don’t mean much to the world, like which boyfriend of Rory’s is best on Gilmore Girls, which time of year is best or why people should love to read. I have loads of opinions and I will talk about them to anyone who would like to listen! My more serious opinions, I keep to myself unless people ask me about them. 

I know I don’t speak for myself when I say that I wish more people would wait for someone to ask. I don’t want you to throw your opinions at me! I don’t want to hear about what you think about the state of our economy, the communities on campus who need to be showcased in a more positive light or anything that might make anyone roll their eyes in annoyance. I have no interest in hearing someone say things at me. I have had many, many people say things at me rather than to me, and each time, I wish I could bang my head into a wall. 

Suppose there is anything I feel strongly about that I could say “argue with a wall” about. In that case, it’s these two things: the banned books list and people sharing opinions in a disrespectful and undesirable way—more specifically to the latter, people sharing opinions in ignorance with a disrespectful tone. I know what I’m ignorant about, and therefore, you will not see me preaching my thoughts as truths when people are simply in my general vicinity and have ears. 

Therefore, if you feel the need to shout your unwarranted opinions about things that you know little about, either do the correct research or don’t bother.