Lindsey Lee

The Asbury Tumbling Team’s Junior Jam Clinic

Founded in 1965, the Tumbling Team is one of Asbury’s oldest traditions. While the team practices multiple times a week and prepares for their upcoming spring tour, they also host an event called Junior Jam. 

Junior Jam is open for kids ages 3-13 to have fun and taste what it’s like to be on the Tumbling Team. There is no prior tumbling, dance, or gymnastics experience necessary. The next Junior Jam will be held on Saturday, November 11th at 9:00 a.m. Another one is planned for next semester on Saturday, January 20th at 9:00 a.m. During the day, kids are typically split up into three different sections based on age, and each group gets a turn at each of the three stations led by team members. 

“One station we do is a devotional to familiarize them with the love of God…and then another section focuses on more ‘tumbling’ where the kids get on the mat and get to jump on trampolines, through hula hoops, and have a good time learning about what we do physically,”  Tumbling Team member and sophomore Israel Carr said. “Then, our last section is my section where the kids play games…This is their time to run around and get all of that built-up energy out. We teach them a few safety precautions about the trampoline and other equipment to make sure they don’t get hurt, but we don’t force any new skills upon them or anything. We let them do what they are comfortable with.”

These Junior Jam clinics provide a safe and well-supervised space where kids can jump around and have fun with other children, learn some exciting tumbling skills, hear about the Lord’s love for them and experience what it’s like to be involved in one of Asbury’s oldest and most beloved traditions. 

“What I’m most excited about is to see the smiles that the children bring to the place,” team member Trueman Livingston said. “I love seeing the enthusiasm they bring and just seeing their smiles makes me happy.”

Not only do these events bring joy to the kids who attend, but the Tumbling Team is equally as excited to host and have fun with them.

“We look at each kid as another opportunity to spread a little bit of joy,” Carr said. “That’s what the tumbling team is all about. Not the flips or the cool stunts but being able to share the love of Christ with children through service. That’s our Mission Statement and what we strive to meet every Junior Jam.”