AP News

Michigan football should have asterisks not wins on their record

While it’s not typically standard to start an article with a quote, I think Pat McAfee referred to the Michigan cheating scandal better than I could.

“It’s much easier to win when you know exactly what the other team is going to do,” McAfee said to a crowd in Columbus, Ohio, during “GameDay” in Week 8.

While the audience for this joke was perfect, as Ohio and Michigan are bitter rivals, McAfee’s words hold some real truth.

Michigan has been under investigation since Oct. 19 by the NCAA for allegedly sending people in person to scout future opponents in order to steal signs. 

“The Wolverines are accused of a scheme — allegedly spearheaded by suspended analyst Connor Stalions — in which tickets were purchased to a swath of Michigan’s Big Ten and potential CFP opponents over a two-season span with the purpose of filming and decoding play-call signals,” CBS Sports said.

This directly goes against the NCAA bylaw 11.6.1, which states, “Off-campus, in-person scouting of future opponents (in the same season) is prohibited.”

According to AP News, “There was a time in college football when it was not uncommon to see a coach at a game involving a future opponent, taking notes and gathering intel.” However, that was put to an end in 1994 when the NCAA banned in-person advanced scouting because “not every school could afford to do it.”

Apparently, Michigan forgot this or simply thought they were above the rules. Because while this may have made a small difference in the game outcome, it was still an unfair and illegal factor that diminished their entire program. Any talent they may have is now called into question.

Based on a recent Sport Illustrated article, this is hardly the first time Mighagan has stooped down to these tackets. They reported that TCU knew about their move and thwarted them during their matchup on New Year’s Eve.

“In order to mess with the Wolverines, the Horned Frogs changed their signs before kickoff. The coaches also used ‘dummy signals,’ which were old plays that no longer ran with that signal. TCU players had to ignore these signals,” Sports Illustrated said.

Whether this was a direct reason or not, TCU beat out the Wolverines that night 51–45.

Currently, the allegations mainly surround Michigan football staff member Connor Stalions. Who, according to USA Today, sent detailed text messages to a friend about his relationship with the Michigan coaching staff and how he stole signs.

“The 28-year-old Stalions allegedly bought tickets, using his real name, to almost three dozen games over the past three seasons. According to ESPN.com, 12 different Big Ten schools were scouted, and the use of electronics and a paper trail were also found,” CBS Sports said. “Stalions then forwarded tickets to others around the country and also used television broadcasts to further the scheme.”

According to The Athletic, Michigan’s athletic director, Warde Manuel, announced that they have since suspended Connor Stalions “pending the conclusion of an NCAA investigation into sign-stealing allegations.”

Now, their head coach’s future is uncertain as well, with Sports Illustrated reporting the scandal has “compelled the university to table a contract offer to coach Jim Harbaugh.” 

While this is a good call by Michigan, you have to wonder if this action is too little too late.

After all, they have competed in eight games already, and only one of which has been since this news broke. That means in seven of their “winning” games, they most likely have been using illegal tactics.

Mind you of their competition those games. They played East Carolina, UNLV, Bowling Green, Rutgers, Nebraska, Minnesota, Indiana and most recently Michigan State (the only game following the scandal). 

Not one of those teams is currently ranked. And yet, they still used outside advantages to assist in those games. 

On Oct. 11, Sports Illustrated published an article with the subheading, “Georgia has the No. 1 ranking per the AP Poll, but Michigan is the best team in the country when it comes to on-field performance.”

In retrospect, I think it is abundantly clear that neither their schedule nor their tactics align with a No. 1 spot. And frankly, I think that their undefeated record should be called into question or at least accompanied with an asterisk.

The Wolverines still have their hardest games ahead of them with Penn in two weeks, who are currently ranked 9th in the nation, and then Ohio State, ranked 3rd, as their last game. 

If they are able to pull off those wins, then maybe they deserve their placement, but as of right now, they have earned nothing this season in my book.