ncaa

College Football Week 11 Update

College football is officially 11 weeks in. The playoffs are right around the corner, so now is as good a time as any to start looking ahead and making predictions.

The AP ranking as of Nov. 5 from number one through eight are Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, Florida State, Washington, Oregon, Texas, and Alabama.

Georgia looks excellent this season, per usual. Coming off of being last season’s championship winner, I would be shocked if the Bulldogs somehow missed the playoffs this season.

With all of the controversy surrounding Michigan, I don’t know what to do with discussing them. Sure, they’ve put up very impressive numbers, but amid a national scandal, will they be able to maintain their heights, or will they crack under the pressure?

Considering how they’ve walked away with victories against Penn State and Notre Dame already, and they have the second-highest-ranked defense, the Buckeyes could be the team to beat this season. Sitting at 8-0, I would be stunned if they could mess this up and miss the playoffs.

The Seminoles look like they should be a shoo-in as well, starting 6-0 in ACC matchups and 8-0 overall. Their standout victory this season came in their bout against LSU, destroying them 45-24.

Despite being 8-0, Washington is not as impressive as it may look on the surface. Their win over Oregon gives them more credibility, but they have not appeared to be all that great to me. Maybe they’ll surprise me, but I wouldn’t bet on them making it to the playoffs this season.

The Ducks are clinging to a number six rating I don’t know is all that deserved. Sure, Bo Nix looks great, but losing to Washington caused me to question them quite a bit. I don’t know how the rest of their season will pan out, but they still have a decent amount to prove. I’d call them on the bubble as far as playoffs are concerned.

As for the Longhorns, that win over Alabama was huge for their chances of squeaking into the playoffs this season. Without that loss to Oklahoma, their odds would look pretty good, but I’d also call them on the bubble in the state they’re in now. 

Whether you love them or hate them, it’s clear that the Crimson Tide isn’t quite as dominant as they’ve been in previous seasons. Despite their loss to Texas, I’ve learned never to count them out too early. I think they absolutely still have a shot at making the playoffs this season.

A conservative prediction of the playoff teams this season would be Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, and Florida State; however, I’d caution against counting the Crimson Tide out too soon. All it takes is one loss; everything could change for any of these teams.

The playoffs will kick off on Jan. 1, and the championship will take place on Jan. 8 in Houston, TX.